landscape area not aligning on site model surface

tristanwel21

Question

16 answers to this question

Assuming the your Plants and Site Model are on the same Design Layer, Select Plants (or almost any other 3d Object) and then AEC*>Terrain>Send to Surface (* It may be that this command is in a different Menu Column in the Landmark Workspace). You can also adjust manually by typing in a value in the "Z" or Elevation field in the Object Info Palette.

• Like 1

@tristanwel21 Have you had any luck with this?  I've been having problems where 3d plants don't always go to the surface in v2021.  It didn't matter if it was on the same layer as the Site Model or if I did the "Send to Surface" command a dozen times.... some landscape areas with 3d objects would mostly appear on the surface and some just wouldn't.  It didn't even matter that the landscape areas were all exactly the same and made up of the exact same plants.  Typing in a Z-value for each plants in my instance was completely unrealistic because we're talking about at least a thousand plants all at different elevations because the site is sloping.  It seems to be more of a problem with Landscape Areas specifically... not so much with Plant objects where there's only one species.  

• Like 1

Yes a little. below is an email from tech support which shows where I was going wrong.

Tech support wrote:-

The issue is that the landscape areas aren't assigned to a design layer with a site model on.  Please see the below screenshot to see where this option is.

There is a site model on Design layer 1.  This site model is invisible and seems to be inside of the actual site model.  This needs to be removed as it may start causing other issues.

image.thumb.png.69dce7617a83f1f218b16fa4256d9f30.png

Hope this helps you as it has helped me a little but I still need convincing.

regards Tristan

• Like 1

Just had the same very frustrating problem, site model layer assigned and the texture showing up on the site model, but landscape area stubbornly sitting at z=0.

I moved it onto the same layer as the site model and sent to surface, no joy.

Went to move it back and accidentally moved it onto my retained soft layer (containing existing trees).  Suddenly it moved into the correct place.  Can't explain this, think it must be a bug.

Laura

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Laura Stone Check the settings on the Site Model also - which layers are is that set to work with? The Landscape Area has to be able to "see" the site model design, and the site model has to be able to "see" the layer that contains the landscape area. Also, check the Landscape Area settings to make sure you have the landscape area set to work with the Site Model.

Hi Tamsin

I've checked both of those and the site model is set to respond to site modifiers on the layer that the landscape area is on and the landscape area is set to the site model layer.  Funnily enough the layer that I accidentally moved it onto was not a layer that the site model was set to.  When I moved it back onto the correct layer it went back to z=0.  

I guess I can put it on the 'wrong' layer to export IFC to the Architect but it is a bit of a pain.

Laura

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi all
Thanks to @Laura Stone

Just a quick update for everyone

In the (excellent) example file, the layer containing the relevant Site Model was invisible. So, although the Site model was set to include the layer containing the landscape areas, AND the landscape areas were told which layer contained the site model, because the site model was invisible, the landscape areas were not playing. 
We switched on the site model layer, refreshed the landscape areas, and all was good. 

• Like 1
On 1/15/2021 at 2:47 AM, Tamsin Slatter said:

...We switched on the site model layer, refreshed the landscape areas, and all was good...

On 1/15/2021 at 9:31 AM, Tamsin Slatter said:

BTW, the same thing applies to Plants. The Site Model needs to be visible to have them respond and ping to the surface.

Tamsin, How do I refresh/ping plant objects?

I had my site model turned off and now even when it's turned back on and updated, all the plants are at zero.

...Except for my trees which are on a separate Class and Layer than the plants.

• Trees are 'canopy' layer and 'Plants-A-Tree' class.
  • Plants are 'L-PLNT' layer and Plants-A-PLNT' and 'Plants-A-SHRB' classes.

I've tied moving everything to the trees class and layer but it doesn't help... plant objects are very stubbornly staying at zero.