Vectorworks 2016 and Mac OSX High Sierra

Yes, VW2017 is compatible with High Sierra, but it is the last version compatible with High Sierra.

What are you trying to do? You are asking about 5 and 6 year old versions of VW and the Operating System. You can certainly operate that way and always run 5 years behind. Or you can consider upgrading to the current version that will then probably be stable for the next 5 years or so.

Just now, Pat Stanford said:

Yes, VW2017 is compatible with High Sierra, but it is the last version compatible with High Sierra.

What are you trying to do? You are asking about 5 and 6 year old versions of VW and the Operating System. You can certainly operate that way and always run 5 years behind. Or you can consider upgrading to the current version that will then probably be stable for the next 5 years or so.

I would love to be on Big Sur Pat but we have three 2016 licences, two with 2017 legacy, to upgrade all to even VW 2020 would cost a small fortune and to be honest the gains would be minimal as we mainly use VW 2D for detailing, one machine also has CS5. It's annoying that Vectorworks still hasn't had any real improvements to the stair tool, or the windows and doors tool. It still won't allow us to have bifold doors with an uneven number of leafs.

Obviously your choice and decision, but if you budget about 1£/hour for 2000 work hours a year, you can buy VW Architect and a new mid-range iMac every two years. And then you wouldn't have to worry about what you are going to do if you old hardware dies and you have to replace both hardware and software at the same time.

To me it is a business tool. If you billing rate is 50£/hour, then you are looking at paying 2% of your rate for your basic tools. If something newer can make you 2% more efficient, then you are break even.

I think you would be very surprised at how much has changed between 2016 and 2021 and how much more productive you could be by upgrading more often. Data Tags, Data Visualization, Grid Bubble tool, Improved Title Block Border. Those are just a few things off the top of my head that have come in since 2016 that will directly help with 2D productivity.

I am not trying to be argumentative, just want to point out a different way to look at costs.

I hope whatever you choose works out well for you.