Freezing with Vectorworks 2020 on Windows computer

ptc

Question

Hi All

I recently built a computer for working at home and using vectorworks 2020. When I open two files, the file I opened first freezes and can only use the recently opened one. I'm not sure why this is happening. I currently have 64 GB ram, RTX 3080 and Ryzen 9 3900X so I don't think its a system spec issue. At first I thought it was because I was working from the server but when I transfer all my files directly on my computer the problem still persists. I can't update to 2021 as everyone else in the office is currently using the 2020 version. Does anyone have anyideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks.

2 answers to this question

Hi @ptc

I provide Tech Support For Vectorworks users in New Zealand and the Pacific islands. I've had a couple of users with problems that might match or relate to your situation. 

• Firstly, make sure the graphics card driver you installed is the latest available for your card. The software that might have come in the box or been installed by the store is more often out-of-date. 
  • One seeming cause of this condition is leaving Vectorworks open/running for days at a time. - Please comment whether this applies to you. 
  • Another possible cause for this behaviour is 'far out objects.' See my dedicated process for verifying and correcting this condition here
  • Having multiple monitors might also be a factor, but clearly not the only one because otherwise it would affect all users with them. - There will be something particular to your file or Vectorworks installation, hardware or operating system that is conducive to this problem.

Experiment and note here: 

• If having one document on each monitor makes any difference. 
  • If having only one monitor plugged in makes a difference. 
  • It will be important to determine whether you experience this problem: 
    • Only with particular files or with all existing files. (This suggests corruption or 'far out objects' are likely cause). 
    • With an acid test, where you; Create two 'new blank documents'. (File > New… > 'Create blank document'). 
  • Have you migrated your User Folder data from a prior version of Vectorworks. 
  • Whether most palettes undocked or not. 
  • Are the files 'tabbed' along the top of the main 'Application Window' or in seperate, free-floating windows. 

Hi @ptc

I've received reports of this from a few different users over the years, including recent ones with Vectorworks 2023 SP2. Engineers can't fix software bugs unless they can reproduce them (for analysis) and this issue seems to be extremely difficult for them to reproduce, so I'm trying to collect as much circumstantial data for them as possible. 

When was the last time you were affected by this issue? How often does it happen to you? Have you noticed any correlating factors?