Help with the property line tool.

Pianocm

Hello everyone, I am having some trouble with getting the property line tool to work. According to the instructions, I should be able to type in the directions from a parcel map, and have the property line created for me. I think I am either misunderstanding the tool, or misunderstanding how to use the bearing directions on the map. Could someone please guide me though understanding how to create the property line (32) in the image attached?

906148565_ScreenShot2020-12-02at3_54_12PM.thumb.png.e6bc142c975b6e023fcd1da468b42d5d.png1598483887_ScreenShot2020-12-02at3_55_37PM.thumb.png.2aff3332693048ca877adccc9c2fee2d.png

I think you'll find it easier to create the property as line segments & arcs based on the length and directions, then create a polygon from those elements, then select the polygon and use the "Create Object From Shapes Command..." (in the AEC menu in Architect 2021) to create a property line.

In general, I find this is easier than dealing with the property line tool interface.  Also, it looks like your 102.54 property line intersects a curve at the west end at a point that is not described in a way that will allow you to create a continuous shape with the property line tool, so you'll need to create properties 31-2 & 33 in order to generate your polygon. 

• Like 2

@E|FA 

32 minutes ago, E|FA said:

I think you'll find it easier to create the property as line segments & arcs based on the length and directions, then create a polygon from those elements, then select the polygon and use the "Create Object From Shapes Command..." (in the AEC menu in Architect 2021) to create a property line.

In general, I find this is easier than dealing with the property line tool interface.  Also, it looks like your 102.54 property line intersects a curve at the west end at a point that is not described in a way that will allow you to create a continuous shape with the property line tool, so you'll need to create properties 31-2 & 33 in order to generate your polygon. 

Hi, thanks for your response! I wouldn't mind doing it this way, but I am unsure how to determine an accurate, single number for the angle using the bearing directions provided. Could you explain a little further?

11 hours ago, E|FA said:

I didn't realize I could make a property line using the  "Create Object From Shapes Command..."  SWEET!  The Property Line tool is very cumbersome in trying to generate property lines.

8 hours ago, Markvl said:

I didn't realize I could make a property line using the  "Create Object From Shapes Command..."  SWEET!  The Property Line tool is very cumbersome in trying to generate property lines.

'very cumbersome' is a polite way to put it.  I have given up on this tool having never had a successful result from it.  I use the line by line method noted earlier and cringe a little when I get a site plan with several arcs.

I have muddled through the property line tool from time to time in the past with success.  As practice I tried to use it in this case and jeez this tool needs a ton of interface improvement.  I realize I don't hall all the data but I drew lot 32 with some assumptions on. the arc segment and the ~75' leg, composed and made a property line. What I don't like is the bearings don't label correctly.   Any videos of using this clunky tool?

1 hour ago, Inspectorjack said:

bearings don't label correctly

I just turn labels off & add text manually as needed.  Since the property lines are constant during a project, I don't have to worry about checking them as the project progresses.

You can turn the distance & angle labels off in the OIP under "Report Distance" and "Report Angle", or turn them all off via "Annotate Segments".  You might also see if "Reverse Direction" in the OIP helps.

20 hours ago, E|FA said:

I just turn labels off & add text manually as needed.  Since the property lines are constant during a project, I don't have to worry about checking them as the project progresses.

You can turn the distance & angle labels off in the OIP under "Report Distance" and "Report Angle", or turn them all off via "Annotate Segments".  You might also see if "Reverse Direction" in the OIP helps.

Yeah I see the control handler to turn them off but it sure would be nice if the tool did what it is supposed to do.   I do know they use analytics to see how much a tool is used to allocated engineering resources so I am going to pop in mess around with this tool a bit every day until the next Design Summit.  😎

4 minutes ago, Inspectorjack said:

I do know they use analytics to see how much a tool is used to allocated engineering resources

Since I need to create so few property lines per year, and the workaround works for me, I'd just as soon they use the engineering resources elsewhere.  Stair tool, windows & doors, etc. That said, if this is something you need frequently, go for it.