AutoCAD to Vectorworks 3D

trashcan

Question

I have a big project that moved from VWX to AutoCAD except for my scope of the project (video) which has stayed in VWX. Now that they have the whole space modeled, the grid designed in AutoCAD, I need to get their 3D objects into my project and conform to the final version of things. 

In the past, I've had success where the client just exports a DWG - and then on import I identify their layers as classes and it's a little slow to do the conversion but it works fine. 

With this project, the import works fine, but it is unbearably slow, often unresponsive, in VWX. So laying in my projectors and their accessories is impossible. 

I'm guessing the slowness has something to do with the 7000 objects on import. The AutoCAD folks have paired it down as much as possible for me, but it's just not working right yet. 

I tried the OBJ method as well, but it's even slower than the DWG method. Having the layers via the DWG method is also extremely helpful. So I don't want to lose that. 

Have tried on multiple machines as well. Windows, Mac, etc. 

Is there a better way to do this? 

5 answers to this question

Have you tried isolating the imported DWG into a separate VWX file and then referencing that file into your working file? Then if you get an update all you have to update is the reference file.

Search for Shuttle File in the forum for more information.

And more than likely the slowness is not due to 7000 objects, but probably just a few items that look simple but are actually polygons with thousands of vertices.

@Pat Stanford What ended up working decently for me was setting the import quality to "Medium" now, it's slow, but bearably slow. It took me most of the day to get to this point, but feeling much better about it. 

Have not tried the reference file method, but this will work for now. I suspect I'll switch to the shuttle method in the future. I've been told this is "it" - no changes to come... fingers crossed. 

Hmmh,

I always think, DWG import in VW isn't super fast, but very OK vs some other import options.

And for me it is nearly lossless. Solids come in fine, even Materials and Assignments.

Unfortunately the other way, DWG out is far more lossy.

I also always import DWGs into a Shuttle File only, which I "reference" into my Work File.

I don't had that as much as with Revit Imports, but when Hatches or even complex Line Styles

import as exploded separate 2D Elements, or 3D Meshes at too fine tessellations, that could

could slow down your Import and VW Design Views immensely.

I do.

It is just that when you import your DWG A1 into your Shuttle File

you will get a DWG A1 Layer in Shuttle File.

If you later import the updated DWG A2, you will get another Layer

DWG A2, according to the updated DWG file name.

So when you reference your Shuttle File into your Work File by a Viewport,

that Viewport will remember Layer/Class Settings from original DWG A1.

But it will not update to DWG A2 later.

It would be easy to adapt your VPs "Layer" to DWG A2 manually, but you

would also need to reset all your Classes Visibilities. Which can be quite

tedious, especially with typical DWG Files.

Unfortunately the first thought,

no problem, I will delete the old Layer DWG A1 in my Shuttle File and rename

new DWG A2 Layer back to DWG A1 and just update my Reference Files

in Work File - will not work !

Seems that VW does not save References Viewport Layer Visibilities by just

Layer Name, but by a unique identifier ID or such thing.

So my Workaround in Shuttle file is :

1. Import updated DWG to its default Layer name from DWG name (DWG A2).

2. Delete all Objects from previous/original (DWG A1) Layer

3. Select all Objects from new DWG A2 and assign them to old Layer DWG A1

4. Delete empty DWG A2 Layer

Tedious, but that will keep your Viewport Settings in your Work File and just update

the geometry.

Edited by zoomer