Creating A Site Model

StatonCohen

I have an exceeding basic OS survey which I want to create a 3D model from.  It has very few 3D locus points on the paved areas and some contours on the grass areas.  I have converted the contour lines to be recognised as contours in Vectorworks and have said they are to effect the existing site model.  Now when I select everything and choose to create a site model it just uses the locus points not the contours.  So I have added on more locus points following the contours and in other locations where I know there is a kerb etc which is not shown on the levels information (copying and pasting original ones and changing the height in the object info to the height I want)  But when I then select all and try to create a site model from survey information it doesn't use all the points.  Some of them seem to be incorporated, but not all of them.  What am I doing wrong??

SiteModelData.pdf

Three recommendations:

1 - Put all info concerning the site model in the same layer. There are ways to go around this rule, but it's the easiest way.

2 - Include a grade limit for your site model. If you don't do it, you'll always get a strange modelation.

3 . If you use locus points or 3d polys to model, put them in the class Site-DTM-Modifier. It's a special class that can receive non parametric object to model site models.

Regards,

Cazoña2_v2021_v2019.vwx

• Like 1

@StatonCohen Rather than converting the contour objects to Site Modifiers, I would convert them to 3D Polygons (with the correct Z-height) before creating a Site Model.  If you select the locus points and the 3D Polys, you should then be able to create a Site Model that looks more like what you're going for (you can see what I did here gets it closer, but not perfect).  I find Site Modifiers are only good if you've already created a Site Model and want to manipulate it.  

There's a way to modify the source data of a model you've already created.  But it's a little more convoluted.  Since your Site Model doesn't haven't a lot of elements in it, it's probably easier to just start from scratch.  Does that help?

Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 3.30.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 3.33.35 PM.png

• 4 weeks later...