Shade of Existing Trees in Top/Plan View

Michal Zarzecki

Question

I was asked recently if we can show shadows of existing trees in [2D] tree survey plans.

I didn't seem to find a way to do it otherwise than in the plan view, i.e. 3D.

The BS5837 requires accounting for shading when assessing tree constraints. 

Would it be possible to create simple shadows in the 2D top plan view? A similar thing would be useful for the Massing Model, without the need to go into the plan view.

11 answers to this question

@Michal Zarzecki this seems like a good candidate for a script that uses your existing plant survey's data to construct shadow diagrams, based upon you local code requirements.  It seems every jurisdiction around the world has a different way of wanting to understand a tree's shadow.  I imagine there is a city south of the equator that has adopted the British standard and insists designer show shadows on the North side of their trees 🙂

@bcd Thank you for that.

@jeff prince, that is one way to do it before it can be considered and implemented by the software developer.

The idea of the BS is to show the shadows to illustrate the potential constraint and how to do it in a simple way, but it can be more than that - the software generates shadows [in 3D] on a particular day and time, so useful for understanding how shading changes during the day. And what about massing models? Showing shadows cast by buildings would be so useful too.

It wound be wonderful to have these possibilities available with a few clicks in such a comprehensive software, rather than resorting to sandwiching viewports.

• Like 1

@Michal Zarzecki it would be nice for the software to generate polygons to depict the range of shadows for dates and time of day.  That would give use the flexibility to control graphics and communicate effectively instead of relying on raster graphics and tricks like stacked viewports.  It would be more convenient than the manual method of calculating or tracing shadows with vector tools.

• Like 2