Data Tags for walls, roofs and slabs

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
6 hours ago, David Poiron said:

Is there a way to set up a single data tag to extract the Mark for walls, roofs and slabs, but not other objects? I though OSTYLE would work but it grabs pretty much everything.

Hello @David Poiron,

Is the Mark part of an IFC pset or is it a parameter of the wall/roof/slab? Maybe you can share a sample test file?

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

That sounds like an interesting idea. Is it possible to extract the fire rating of slab, walls and roofs at the same time? They all have a pset for this. Or extracting the name at once, because they all have this as a set. Maybe with a wildcard similar to worksheets: *.firerating. 🤔

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Just now, elepp said:

That sounds like an interesting idea. Is it possible to extract the fire rating of slab, walls and roofs at the same time? They all have a pset for this. Or extracting the name at once, because they all have this as a set. Maybe with a wildcard similar to worksheets: *.firerating. 🤔

Hello @elepp,

That is why I am asking where this data is stored. If it is in the same pset, you can use the "AnyIFCEntity" option in the data tag and then select the desired pset and all objects having this pset will be available for tagging.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

For some reason the roof face and slab objects use the slab pset and so I can use one data tag for both those object types. Walls have to be a separate data tag. On another note, I have a difficult time tagging assemblies in section - even when the viewport is set to not show objects beyond, it seems to want to find objects beyond the cut plane instead of objects at the cut plane for some assemblies. Anyone else have this problem? VW 2021 SP2.

Do you really need a single type of data tag for all these object types, or would a tool that would automatically select the correct Data Tag Style for the object type you are hovering over be sufficient?

If it does need to be a single Data Tag Style, would you be willing to run a script to update the data rather than have it automatically update?

• Like 1

From a workflow point of view, we are trying to get the same information (reference/mark) from each object (roof face, slab or wall) - we are tagging building assemblies. At this point we need at least two data tags to access what we see as the same type of information from different object types. If the "Current Tag Field Definition" field allowed for some calculations/logic, then we could perhaps add multiple criteria in an if or case statement. Or perhaps a pset can be established that can take the same field across multiple object types - not sure how that works internally. Fire ratings, sound ratings and the like are all fields that we see should be accessible across roof faces, slabs or walls.

Of course I would like to see things happen automatically, but would be curious as to how this could be scripted as a workaround.

I don't understand enough about IFC to know if creating/using a single pset across different types of objects is a good idea or not. If it is acceptable to you then that would be the easiest solution as you could then use a stock Data Tag to access the information across different types of objects. I also don't know how you would get this "custom set" to automatically be attached to these object types when you create them. If you have to go to the data pane of the OIP and manually attach the set to every object (this is probably scriptable) then that may be worse than using different Data Tags.

It is relatively simple to report the data from different IFC psets in a single column in a worksheet. Especially if it is only a few different psets a couple of nested IF functions or possibly even just a Concat could return the data from the correct pset as long as you didn't have multiple "reported" psets attached to a single object.

For attaching different Data Tags to different object types, I think a relatively simple script that defines a Data Tag Style to an Object Type could be used. You probably will not get the automatic preview you get with the current Data Tag tool, but I have not played with that part so far. You would still need to define the Data Tag Style to show the information you are interested in. You would then pick an object and if the picked Object Type matched the Object Type list in the script it would place a Data Tag of the matching Style and associate the Data Tag with the picked object.

What do you think?

I think you are saying that there would still more than one data tag but a script would figure out which one is required and place it accordingly? I would not know how to script that but it sounds interesting.

We actually have three tags currently 1. one for "vertical" walls in plan and section 2. one for "horizontal" walls in plan 3. one for roofs and slabs in section.