Vectorworks Revit Export is better than Revit's IFC import!

Revit's IFC import is absolutely shocking.

Always has been.

Even the most broad-minded Revit consultants I know think Revit's IFC importer is bad.

I think it is a very sorry state of affairs when the Vectorworks Revit exporter achieves better results than Revit importing an IFC.

Discuss.

Wasn't there a thread floating around recently about "everything" being VW's fault? Doesn't Revit export make that even more so? At least with IFC you can point to Solibri being the arbiter of correctness. A Revit export makes Revit (and whatever half [or less] trained operator) the arbiter of correctness.

Send them the IFC when they can't work with that, tell them you will help them out and send the Revit file. They will be grateful they didn't have to mess with the IFC and you don't have to tell them where the Revit came from.  ;-)

All of the above if heresy. I have only exported one Revit file from VW and it took forever for what should have been a simple file. Still have not heard back it is was usable or if they went with the STEP/IGES files that I sent (and which took less than 1/4 the time to export both than the Revit file.)

That might have been me...

but yes capitulating and issuing RVT presents a huge problem: how do you check the RVT is complete without using proprietary software to do so.

you would never issue native file formats unless you owned that software too.

bentley users are not so arrogant to believe that everyone should issue dgn nor archicad.

But then such users are usually more capable and understand the purpose of ifc.  They might not like it but they understand it.

The issue remains though that Revit import of ifc is hit and miss at best.

not good for the supposed market leader in BIM. Perhaps they should look up what BIM means. By their definition (sharing  native files, producing drawings and schedules from native files etc) isn’t BIM.  It’s simply ‘Using Revit’.

I agree. We also had a project once where the consultant to our client demanded Revit-files, because their whole system was setup that way. Very annoying.

I also only heard bad things about their ifc capabilities. Though I have found some useful informationen about ifc on a blog of revit users of all places: https://bimblog.bondbryan.co.uk/ifc-industry-foundation-classes-layers-and-classification-in-autodesk-revit/

Yes.  I have been involved in a number of projects where the Lead Architect uses Revit. 

They have set up systems within Revit that are so Revit-centric and bespoke that they are incapable of receiving data in any other form other than as Revit files. 

They have become so insular that they are now unable to work with anyone unless they use Revit.

THIS IS NOT BIM!!!!

It is just a revit project.

It is very sad to see Architects like this not even understand how to incorporate 2D data, or accept spreadsheets that show exactly the data they want but that have not been exported from Revit.

Edited by shorter
3 hours ago, elepp said:

I agree. We also had a project once where the consultant to our client demanded Revit-files, because their whole system was setup that way. Very annoying.

I also only heard bad things about their ifc capabilities. Though I have found some useful informationen about ifc on a blog of revit users of all places: https://bimblog.bondbryan.co.uk/ifc-industry-foundation-classes-layers-and-classification-in-autodesk-revit/

Mr Jackson has invested a lot of time (not sure for what reward) getting around the issues of working with IFC and Revit.  He does some nice articles on building Lego 'BIM' models.

The issue is probably not Revit, to be fair, but Revit 'out of the box'.

So few appear capable of configuring Revit (and the same can be said of Vectorworks and any other software) to make it do what they want it to do.  Just look at a drawing from Revit and you will see what I mean, and given only about 10% of Revit users have even heard of IFC (because they believe the hype that by simply opening Revit they are 'doing BIM') setting up the correct IFC import settings would not be on anyone's radar, and even if they had heard of IFC they probably don't realise that the mapping tables in Revit need to be adjusted, and that they should never link an IFC even though they can.

If Terra is still working for Vectorworks perhaps we should revisit that White Paper on 'IFC'?

7 minutes ago, shorter said:

He does some nice articles on building Lego 'BIM' models.

Yeah. His series about BIM explained with Lego Bricks is a good starting point for newbies in this field.

Here in Germany Architects seem to be all over the place in terms of BIM software. The very big ones mostly use Revit. But they also rely heavily on third party plugins to make it complient with german standards. Which adds additional cost to the already high price of Revit.

The advantage though for them is that there is a huge industry of BIM Consultants, that can help you in your BIM Journey. There is hardly anyone in Germany. And the few who are doing it, are not enough to compete. So if you try to find someone to help you along they will all be "selling" you Revit.