Importing DWG with dynamic blocks with text attributes

Ross McLee

Question

Observation:

When importing a schematic I drew in AutoCAD the text attributes were not importing correctly.

We use blocks (much like the ConnectCAD devices symbol - in fact the block in question is called "device") to represent equipment used in AV systems. The blocks had text attributes representing the device name, make, model and some notes.

When importing the file, VW has imported both the default value and the entered value of the attribute, overlaying them to make them unreadable. I tried all four different import options described here:

https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2021/eng/index.htm#t=VW2021_Guide%2FDXFDWG%2FDXF_DWG_and_DWF_import_options.htm%23CSH_10

but didn't just get the (displayed/printed) entered attribute values imported as I wanted.

The only way around was to open the DWG file and modify the block definition and remove the default value (leaving it blank) and ATTSYNC to update all the blocks in the file.

Perhaps the import options need to be updated to ignore default values if an entered value is present. It should not just ignore the default values though, as they may be the ones required.

Typical - I have just tried to create a sample file to demonstrate it and upload here, but it doesn't display the same behaviour... may be just that one file then! So keep a look out!

Using: VW2021 Spotlight/ConnectCAD.

DWG Import Example.dwg

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet