Help!

Caslo

I have Vectorworks 8.5 for Windows. The company I work for builds commercial trailers. I am unable to use some of the commands and tools because of the design of our trailers, and I am having a few difficulties getting results that my employer and I want. Listed below are the ones I have been unable to figure out.

1. When I insert symbols that I have drawn, into a drawing I am working on, it sometimes comes in invisible. The ?ghost image? is there until I get it into the place I want it and hit the ?enter? key. After that, the symbol is invisible. By accident I have found they become visible again when I use the ?create stair? tool. Do you know why it happens this way?

2. I drew a floor plan with a second story floor that I inserted as a symbol on its own layer. I did a layer link on the layers, but when viewed in 3-d, the second story frame is on the top of the wall where the roof should be. When viewed in the ?front? view with the layer link layer turned off, the floor frame is seen where it should be. On a separate floor plan with a similar problem, the walls looked to be at least 3? above the floor frame. I have changed the ?Z? & ?delta Z?, and neither floor frame nor the walls have changed where they are. These are the only two floor plans I have attempted to draw.

3. I have also drawn up our steel frames with axles and tires to put underneath our trailers. But when I try to pull the frame symbol into a drawing, the whole frame comes in as an ?arc?. Unlike in question #2, ?create stair? hasn?t helped. Do you have any ideas as to why this has happened?

I have added texture to my walls and rendered it with QuickDraw 3D Interactive, everything looks fine. I try to print it out, but nothing prints-except for 2-d objects like the border. Everything prints when I use the ?Solid? rendering (except for, of course, the textures).

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

1. When I insert symbols that I have drawn, into a drawing I am working on, it sometimes comes in invisible. The ?ghost image? is there until I get it into the place I want it and hit the ?enter? key. After that, the symbol is invisible. By accident I have found they become visible again when I use the ?create stair? tool. Do you know why it happens this way?

It sounds like the the symbol, or part of the symbol is placed in a class thet is turned off. Try setting all your classes to visible and set your class options to show\snap\modify others.