2021 Public Roadmap

JuanP
Message added by JuanP

New Roadmap site is live HERE

12 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

Unit Plan is looking to solve the very problem you describe.

And Viewport Styles (just below it) would be another one, I think, most users will care about.

image.png

This should not be research, we need it now.  I could be retired at my age, but to VW benefit, and my ability to use it, almost a year ago took up some work with another architect who uses VW.  We, my wife and I, have been busting our butts for a year now.  The architect we are working with remotely from Italy is doing about 90% of his projects in modular factory built units that are assembled on site to create the final building.  This is the future in multifamily housing, single family  and commercial as well.  So do you see our need.  There are about 10 of us working remotely and everyone seems to have their own way of putting together a project, we get one already started and it is a nightmare.  Because there is no good way to put together repetitive units in VW whither modular units or repetitive apartment plans.  

Also pay attention to what Carlotta has written we have the same issues, file sharing is a mess, but it is essential to team work.  From what I know most firms are using file referencing as a work around or just splitting the project up into separate pieces.    We have been using referenced viewports somewhat successfully, but there are issues with it and we have been told it is better to use referenced layers the old way.  What is the best way to team work?  How best to split up a project amongst the team.  How best to deal with larger projects.  Even on small projects, eg, a 10 unit one we break up the pieces and then save as pdf and then use another program to combine the pdf files into one.  Is that the way.  I am guessing smart markers become un-smart when the details or worksheets are in one pdf and the plans in another.  

On a more positive note I still love using VW, it is just frustrating at times.  What I really like is doing all our work in 3D, making the model, then now being able to see it instantly rendered using Enscape, that is for an old architect like me the coolest thing ever and one thing that keeps me wanting to work.  

• Like 1
17 hours ago, neal-2002 said:

concur with the speed of some issues that never seem to get resolved...

im a self employed architect and use renderworks often but recently been using twinmotion to render projects as renderworks is nowadays just too slow - so im looking forward to the epic/twinmotion/ redshift changes to speed up my workflow...

Agreed, I am using Enscape for rendering now.  How do you use Twinmotion, I don't think it is integrated with VW.  Do you have to export the model.

@Helm Encape is nice and the renders are good, especially for interiors but only runs on PC. I find Twinmotion better for externals, landscape and animations.

I simply export via Cinema 4D, and it works pretty well, but a direct live sync will be so welcome! Check out a recent project presentation I am really proud of all don with vectorworks and Twinmotion:

Earth Sheltered Eco Home by Jonathan Reeves Architects
https://youtu.be/6Pv1JU0nCbs

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Helm said:

Agreed, I am using Enscape for rendering now.  How do you use Twinmotion, I don't think it is integrated with VW.  Do you have to export the model.

Like Jonathan said - just export from vw at cinema 4d jncl materials and import to twinmotion - so plugin between the two would be great if it worked similar to enscape meaning any changes to the model would auto update in Twinmotion. 

20 minutes ago, JRA-Vectorworks-CAD said:

@Helm Encape is nice and the renders are good, especially for interiors but only runs on PC. I find Twinmotion better for externals, landscape and animations.

I simply export via Cinema 4D, and it works pretty well, but a direct live sync will be so welcome! Check out a recent project presentation I am really proud of all don with vectorworks and Twinmotion:

Earth Sheltered Eco Home by Jonathan Reeves Architects
https://youtu.be/6Pv1JU0nCbs

I am watching a couple of your videos just to catch up a bit on both systems.  Here is an Enscape capture of a project we are working on.  1067619611_ENTRY1.thumb.png.7598634b951b9212717d250c9334d7d7.png

• Like 1
On 12/2/2020 at 6:50 AM, _c_ said:

Are you making VW more direct? Less dialogs? Less interface scattering?

We are left alone with daily work with often cryptical tools that never, ever work as we need them to.

Please do finish what you begin, and really do

Very much that. Compared to the majority of competitors we spend to much time in some clunky dialog instead of drawing our plans. (Adding a door to walls should not depend on me knowing already how big the door is. Windows are the same.)

• Like 1

Well we had to extrude along a path to make the connection of the gutter to the down spout if this is what you want to know.  Time consuming it is.  

How about making walls adjustable in the width, as  in old buildings being restored have walls of varying width especially in Italy where we are.  Could we have a simple wall that is adjustable like a polygon.   

• Like 2
On 12/3/2020 at 12:00 PM, Tom W. said:

Not sure what this means:

1675470549_Screenshot2020-12-03at11_55_34.thumb.png.0a7c63018cde3735a55a791e10ba7551.png

?

I believe this is referring to a feature teased at the 2020 design summit whereby they used the 'legends' feature to draw a traditional window schedule. There was more discussion about it on the thread below where it was confirmed this wouldn't be coming to 2021. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, _c_ said:

As my old friend Petri used to say: Dialogs are bad interface

I know, I know, I am being provocative here... ❤️

I really doubt you are.

only thing worse than a dialog box is one that that doesn’t offer a solution just a problem. VW at last count has at least a dozen. 

Shapr3D is showing the way in my opinion. The advantage it has compared to other tools is, that it started on an iPad. The restrictions of the smaller screen real estate leads to fewer obstrusive menu bars and dialogs. Developers for macOS/ windows can learn a thing or two there.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, _James said:

I believe this is referring to a feature teased at the 2020 design summit whereby they used the 'legends' feature to draw a traditional window schedule. There was more discussion about it on the thread below where it was confirmed this wouldn't be coming to 2021. 

Traditional window schedules, wow I thought we were behind the times in still doing them.  But that is what building departments and window suppliers want to see.   A handy tool would be to automatically dimension simple objects like rectangles or the exterior of a window elevation.  Hasn't someone made this is marionette, convert copy to lines, covert objects to dimensions, move out a bit done.  

Edited by Helm
On 12/8/2020 at 4:39 AM, _James said:

was more discussion about it on the thread below where it was confirmed this wouldn't be coming to 2021

I thought that sentence was going to end better.. Ha!.

On topic though, these are much welcomed discussions by VW. Even though I agree, the Architecture tools that are under research need to be released as soon as, I am happy to know VW is listening and providing users an opportunity to have a look at the drawing board and hopefully assist in steering development that benefits us all.

Edited by twk
  • Like 2

Architosh has an article up on new features in the mid-year release of Archicad, which now includes the Unreal Engine Datasmith Export as well. I had assumed this item on the Roadmap was related to the Direct Link with Twinmotion, without saying so much. But that's not so clear now, given Archicad has had a Direct Link for quite some time without it and because Twinmotion is not specifically mentioned. Epic was said to be the holdup in the other thread . . .

On 5/12/2020 at 12:35 AM, rb-arch said:

Senior staff at VW have told me it is up to TM - VW is not the bottle neck.  Either way, Mac users continue to be under served.  I'm pretty much used to it at this point.

Is it right to assume that the "Datasmith Export" and the TM Link are related or one and the same? Due perhaps, to Epic unifying their exchange format?

Edited by M5d
1 hour ago, M5d said:

Architosh has an article up on new features in the mid-year release of Archicad, which now includes the Unreal Engine Datasmith Export as well. I had assumed this item on the Roadmap was related to the Direct Link with Twinmotion, without saying so much. But that's not so clear now, given Archicad has had a Direct Link for quite some time without it and because Twinmotion is not specifically mentioned. Epic was said to be the holdup in the other thread . . .

Is it right to assume that the "Datasmith Export" and the TM Link are related or one and the same? Due perhaps, to Epic unifying their exchange format?

Seeing though some of their released features now to what is in the pipe line at VW, I get the feeling we are just trying to get feature parity. And even that will take some time. 😒

Well, it's pretty hard to read the tea leaves on why a cross platform offering has gone wanting here . . .

Nemetschek Vectorworks: Formally Listed. 

On 9/22/2017 at 12:14 AM, PVA - Jim said:

Just had the chance to formally file this. VE-98254

Nemetschek Vectorworks: Acknowledged as the best option, because Twinmotion is a cross platform offering. 

On 11/1/2018 at 8:42 AM, PVA - Jim said:

The only "bad" news about Lumion is that it's Windows only, Twinmotion however is Mac/Windows.

However, they are both very similar tools, and I would suspect that establishing a workflow and/or plugin with one would benefit the others directly.

Positive feedback from Twinmotion (Abvent) on their participation. 

On 1/11/2019 at 2:19 AM, Hans-Olav said:

I joined a webinar Desember 13th and asked in the comment section about a VectorWorks plugin. Martin Krasemann answered very positively as if they where planning to do one! It think it would be very good for both applications to have a plugin similar to ArchiCad and Revit.

Nemetschek Vectorworks: We're working on it.

On 3/21/2019 at 3:29 AM, PVA - Jim said:

Lumion was the first rendering LiveSync partner we released for in the freshly rolled out 2019 SP3. We plan to integrate with more of these applications like TwinMotion as soon as possible.

I was asked a few times why Lumion was chosen first, and it was mainly because the project simply moved along the fastest and our contacts at Lumion responded the quickest to our reaching out. We absolutely don't intend to limit external renderer choices to Windows.

Nemetschek Vectorworks: Stay tuned, we're working on it.

On 5/14/2019 at 10:25 PM, JuanP said:

Don't have much of an update yet. However, I know that both R&D teams are in conversations and we are committed to developing the plugin. Will keep you all posted as soon as I hear more about this partnership. 

A third party, @JRA-Vectorworks-CAD, enquires and offers a hand.

On 5/23/2019 at 2:18 AM, JRA-Vectorworks-CAD said:

@JuanP I have a new contact at Epic Games if that is helpful as I really think Vectorworks need to engage with Twinmotion now they are giving it away for free, as everyone will be using it in the future (why would they not try it if its totally free to use and keep). Please email or Skype me if you like?

Nemetschek Vectorworks: Outcome unknown.

On 5/23/2019 at 6:05 AM, JuanP said:

@JRA-Vectorworks-CAD thanks I will reach out to you via PM.

From the highest level at Vectorworks, "we're working on" it.

On 10/1/2019 at 7:37 AM, chaz said:

Just came across this on architosh.com:

"Our LiveSync technology enables our support now of Lumion, and we are working on support for Twinmotion and Enscape as well." - Dr. Biplab Sarkar, CEO

It's worth noting that Graphisoft and Epic have a deal, which sees Twinmotion bundled into Archicad subscriptions now. 

On 10/17/2019 at 12:22 AM, Brian H said:

I just came across this article from June 8, 2019, shortly after the Unreal's acquisition from the Budapest Business Journal.

"Hungarian software developer Graphisoft SE is collaborating with Epic Games, the company that launched the world’s most popular video game design program, Unreal Engine, and Twinmotion, a real-time architectural planning software. As a result of the cooperative effort, the new version of Twinmotion, which is expected to be released towards the end of this year, will be available for ArchiCAD 23 users for free." https://bbj.hu/business/graphisoft-collaborates-with-us-software-designer_168160

Is there going to be any such love for Vectorworks?   Hopefully, a least a sync feature will be coming soon.

Nemetschek Vectorworks: Enscape, second (non-Mac) Link, is about to drop and Twinmotion is happening during Q1 2020!

On 1/9/2020 at 7:31 AM, JuanP said:

I just got some more information and they are letting me leak some info as well...

Enscape: The plug-in must be available soon, this was announced also in the Enscape forums. Maybe SP3 do not know. 

Twinmotion: The development is happening during Q1, stay tuned for more updates!

V-RAy: We contacted the Chaos group about a year ago and seems like the development of the plug-in has to happen on their end. Currently we do not have any actions in this area, I will ask the team to follow up on the conversation and report back.

Epic and Graphisoft are working together on the "next-gen of Twinmotion" . . .   http://www.aecbytes.com/newsletter/2019/issue_97.html 

On 2/18/2020 at 10:33 AM, rDesign said:

This ARTICLE says that Epic Games (Twinmotion) is working with Graphisoft (ArchiCAD) on developing the next-gen of Twinmotion to include real-time raytracing: Hopefully Vw is also working with Epic / Twinmotion toward the same goal.

Nemetschek Vectorworks: Connections with Unreal Studio / Twinmotion / Epic to be ready for the 2021 "cycle" . . . 

On 2/27/2020 at 5:24 AM, JuanP said:

To answer some of your questions:

• Lumion - Completed last year 2019

• Enscape - Soon, good news. All I can say without getting into much troubles

• Redshift - We are working on getting Renderworks "REDSHIFT Ready" for the 2021 cycle.  Even though this is not a realtime renderer per se, It is a faster RW rendering.  It will be a quantum leap for Vectorworks built-in rendering.

• Twinmotion - We are working with Epic Games to connect Vectorworks with Unreal Studio, Twinmotion, and any other Unreal-based applications.  Ready for the 2021 cycle.

"We are opening up our data connections so that all the work a user puts into a model can convey outside Vectorworks.  We are investing a lot in real-time rendering and connections to real-time rendering engines.  We are giving our users more options.  These new options will greatly speed up their workflows." - Dave Donley Director of Product Technology

Dave Donley  will be covering these topics in more detail during the 2020 Design Summit April 22-24 in San Diego, California. 
https://www.vectorworks.net/design-summit

?

On 5/11/2020 at 12:25 PM, Diego-Resuelvectorworks said:

Twinmotion has a web page with a roadmap of updates and the direct link for Vectorworks doesn't appear anywhere 
https://portal.productboard.com/7pu88c9kpmqtzt8hwg6arujh/tabs/5-in-progress 

Nemetschek Vectorworks is said to have verbally blamed Epic for the lack of a Direct Link and Nemetschek Vectorworks doesn't dismiss this post. 

On 5/12/2020 at 8:48 AM, rb-arch said:

I was told, directly by VW, that the timeline is out of their hands unlike other live links - it is on Epic Games.  I think VW should apply some pressure, but the person I spoke to said the community speaking up wouldn't hurt.

Nemetschek Vectorworks: Stay tuned, we're working on it! (4 months ago) 

On 8/11/2020 at 6:28 AM, JuanP said:

@Mark Aceto & @Aspect_Design As we have shared in the past, we are actively working with Unreal Engine developing a Direct Link between Vectorworks and TM. And even though I don't have an exact date to share now, let me reassured you of the progress on this task. I will share more info with all of you as it becomes available.

So yeah, who knows what's going on. I just thought it odd after the Architosh article yesterday, and after all this, that Twinmotion is not specifically mentioned on the Roadmap. In most cases, these string along, "stay tuned," replies have not been spontaneously given, they've been in response to the escalating demands for a cross platform solution for Vectorworks. There is the whiff of some background politics going on here, Epic's CEO isn't exactly rational, but then, look at how well Graphisoft is working with Epic and Epic recently issued Maxon with a MegaGrant to strengthen "workflow integration with Epic", so that doesn't stack up. By all indications Nemetschek is tight with Epic, and why wouldn't Epic want to facilitate a Direct Link with Vectorworks, half of the user base is theirs by default of having no other option. The blaming of Epic really does seem to come out of left field. But who knows?

Edited by M5d
  • Like 4

@M5d, very well collated a very good read. Gotta love company politics 😅

I personally don't have a dog in this fight, as I use Lumion, however it was very telling when the EpicGames roadmap was released and no vectorworks integration was even mentioned. 

Thanks @twk, yes it's becoming an Epic saga. 😏 

I think ultimately, despite the existing workflows, the Direct Link to TM will be somewhat tantalising for all, given Epic's game engine demos. But you've gotta wonder if they aren't trying to play bully with it for some sort of exclusive arrangement, after what's been aired by the whole Epic versus Apple dispute.

Edited by M5d
  • JuanP locked this topic