Landau Feedback

Yes, Rhino+Grasshopper - Rhino's weakness seems to be poor/clunky layout/pagemaking and the lack of a spreadsheet (altho' Tabl looks like a solution to live link with Excel). Certainly the video shows some problems being solved; pseudo-random circle-packing, tiling solutions. Olin is a good pedigree anyway so prob. a nice product. 

On 11/30/2020 at 1:18 PM, jpccrodrigues said:

That would be great!!! Parametric planting scheme, I just can imagine it

Handing over plant placement to an algorithm?  Maybe for randomly populated areas of ground cover or quick concepts where detail doesn’t matter.  I would be concerned when a project gets a bit further down the process and you desire to tighten things up or the situation where you are satisfied with a layout and a new element is introduced that changes everything.  I would like a parametric irrigation tool 🙂

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, jeff prince said:

Handing over plant placement to an algorithm?  Maybe for randomly populated areas of ground cover or quick concepts where detail doesn’t matter.  I would be concerned when a project gets a bit further down the process and you desire to tighten things up or the situation where you are satisfied with a layout and a new element is introduced that changes everything.  I would like a parametric irrigation tool 🙂

Parametric planting workflow:

https://paper.dropbox.com/doc/Plant-Kit-Z1qWftND7c5oATCRVEnXG

@jpccrodrigues  oh, I know what it is :)  I think the process is very useful in developing paving patterns or building facade treatments where quickly evaluating random building material placement is interesting.  I’m not sure that I would enjoy using it for making aesthetic plant choices or patterns based on an inspiration though.  Living plants are inherently different and more complex in application than static building materials IMHO.  Plus, planting design is fun.

The really amazing part that interests me with this tech is having retaining walls, topography, and hardscapes related and influencing one another.  That has potential for saving time and errors while making design exploration faster.  Irrigation is an obvious choice for parametrics as outlined in their paper, it really makes a lot of sense there.  Rule based systems for grading, irrigation, and shade analysis have the potential to save a lot of time and prevent errors.

hopefully I’ll retire before tech replaces us :)

• Like 2

I'm with @jeff prince re this being a valuable tool for terrain and hardscape and services. For plants nah. I tend to design planting by hand (even very large ones) watercolor/colour pencil (gives me time to really think deeply about the effect I want to produce etc.), show that to the client and then cad it up to work out numbers, then write a spec/speak to contractor about pattern | ° of randomness.

It might be useful to guide ideas about visualising plant mixes, degrees of randomness though, and I currently do this using R or sketchup to generate a selection of random patterns as a starter for a hand-drawing base.

The thing about drawing (and showing) random planting patterns is that they are just pretty; planting them requires coordinates/plan for every plant - ok for a 100 plants, less useful for 20000+.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I do my planting schemes by hand as well. That doen't mean that Vectorworks should look to the side when we have other softwares starting to develop this area, that could become a massive help for everyone (I tend to look to Olin LA as a very innovative studio and if they are onto this, maybe we should loose some time to understand its potential).

On pavements, it would be great to have "pipelined" a way to transform images to patterns to hardscapes (it can already be done in Marionette:

Edited by jpccrodrigues
  • Like 2