Vectorworks2020.exe system error - MSVCP140.dll not on pc - install again

GabrielaS

Question

Hello,

does anyone please have an idea why all of a sudden - and though i did not change anything on my laptop nore in Vectorworks - i cannot open Vectorworks any longer. 
I already completely uninstall and reinstalled Vectorworks (it took me 3 times until it finally worked again) and again  ... Vectorworks2020.exe system error - The program could not be started as MSVCP140.dll is missing on the computer. Install the program again to solve this issue.

i also checked and i do have a "MSVCP140.dll" on my computer.

Thanks for your kind help. 

Vectorworks error.PNG

2 answers to this question

Hi @GabrielaS

Files - any files, whether they are visible to you or not, or handled by you or in the background by the operating system - can become corrupt. (1 in 1500 files are corrupt). If this .dll file is corrupt you might be told it isn't there even if it is present on your computer. 

Sometimes software uses .dll files that are part of the operating system and sometimes software adds additional .dll files (etc) to a computer so it has what it needs to function. If software installs additional .dll's, uninstalling that software probably won't remove them just in case other software has installed (and needs) them. After a very quick look it seems to me that this .dll is part of the operating system set and therefore uninstalling and reinstalling Vectorworks probably won't help because uninstalling Vectorworks won't remove this (presumably corrupt) .dll. 

This thread on Microsoft's 'answers' website might be useful, but if you're not comfortable scrutinising the prescription and comments, and following the steps then I suggest you get your IT provider to handle this for you. 

• Like 1