Quality of Interior Perpective Rendering

hamilton-black

Question

Hallo,

I am trying to increase the rendering quality of my interior perectives. I would appreciate any advice. At the moment, this is the best i can do (see below). The lines and edges, as you can see, look pixelated up close and when i print out, its even worse. Way too dark with a grayscale covering the rendering. I've tried everything i can think of. The layout Sheet and viewport is set to 300 dpi. The viewport has a scale of 1:200. I have used only spotlights as lightsources. The quality of the Rendering is set to Very High. Shadows are turned off. Could it be the surfaces and materials in the drawing? Can anyone tell me what im doing wrong, cause this quality isn't good enough, in my opinion. Thank you.

image.thumb.png.bed6cddf4e63b0790c3ae8f0347ad823.png

21 answers to this question

Hi Pat. 

Thanks fot your answer and your help. The PNG was actually a screenshot of the viewport in Vectorworks, so i could show the bad pixels of the lines. Please find attached a PDF (Published)  which i expeorted from the Sheet layer (DIN A3). So each viewport here is about 1:200. I did actually discover that when i don't use Viewports at all for the perspectives but simply export the rendered view as a JPEG directly from the Screen/Display Layer, the quality is much much better. But why is that? I have been exporting Renderings to PDF with different 3D Software for years now, so i know its possible to get good quality. I just can't find the key to whats going wrong here in Vectorworks.

Test.pdf

47 minutes ago, line-weight said:

see my edit above - have you checked the resolution settings in the dialogue I've shown, as well as for the sheet layer itself?

Hallo again Pat. I just checked again if i did set it to 300dpi and i did. The sheet Layer is set to 150dpi and but its the fact that the resolution of the rendering is poor even before i export it to PDF. Thats what i don't understand. The lines are not clear, the resolution is not very good and only when i export the rendering directly to a JPEG with a 600dpi resolution is it clear and clean. Its a puzzle to me.

Edited by hamilton-black
4 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

What is the render mode you are using? Custom Renderworks? Or something else?

Have you tried setting everything to Hoch or Sehr Hoch as a test to see if that help?

Otherwise, I am about our of ideas. I will keep thinking about what else it may be.

Im using my own custom settings but they are nearly the same as the standard. BUt If i change increase these settings, it does get better but one has to find a balance. If its too high  i wait hours for the renderings. 

Thank you so much for your help. I just find this programm incredibly frustrating. The time it takes.....and the options.....ithey're just too vast. People want to find solutions relatively quickly. Thanks again.

Edited by hamilton-black

I have very bad eyes and a very low requirement for quality, so I think that even your original image looks very good.

Yes there is a time difference if you go to higher standards. One possibility is to set the sheet layer resolution to something low to match the resolution you are running your monitor at so you are not calculating extra pixels while you are working. Then once you get it set the so you are ready to do the final, set the layer resolution up.

Running at 150 dpi vs 300 dpi should take 1/4 of the time. Running at 100 dpi vs 300 dpi should take 11% of the time.

HTH. Good Luck in finding your balance.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, line-weight said:

Isn't this the issue? Have you tried setting this to 300?

The problem is unfortunately there even before i make a viewport and put it into a sheet layer. So changing the Sheet Layer is unfortunately irrelevant here, i think. Thank you so much though for your help. I need all i can get.

Edited by hamilton-black
9 minutes ago, hamilton-black said:

If i change these settings, it does get better but one has to find a balance. If its too high  i wait hours for the renderings. 

Unfortunately that's the trade-off.

I would suggest setting the sheet layer at 300dpi and if you want to speed things up try changing some of the other settings. For example, turning off camera effects, or changing the 'hoch' settings to 'mittel'.

If the sheet layer is set at a certain resolution, then it doesn't make any difference to increase the DPI in the export/publish settings. It can't magically increase the resolution of the renders.

Edited by line-weight
1 minute ago, hamilton-black said:

The problem is unfortunately there even before i make a viewport and put it into a sheet layer. So changing the Sheet Layer is unfortunately irrelevant here, i think. Thank you so much though for your help. I need all i can get.

I don't quite understand what you mean - you can't see the result until you have made a viewport - so how do you know the problem is already there?

It seems you are encountering a few issues when you speak of "quality."

Your first one seems to be the output resolution, which is what a lot of this thread is about currently.  300dpi across the board will help with that.  You should notice then less jaggy lines at the edges of things, if you anti-aliasing is set very high.  

You seem to have some noise appearing along some of your textures surfaces, which can be caused by the "blurriness" setting.  Low settings or bad scaling of the textures will cause that.  Higher settings will give you that fantastic brushed metal look, or multicolored blurry reflections on plastic surfaces, but the render times will go up a lot.  

Your mention of greyscale covering everything is an effect of your lighting.  That your carpet shows the edges of your light beams is an indication that your lighting solution is probably not ideal.  In workspaces such as the one you are rendering, the layout of the fixtures in the drop ceiling is very specific to give an even distribution of light for work purposes.  Either there is not enough light bouncing around (GI solution) or there is not enough ambient light (either in ambient light settings or through careful placement of fill lights) to give the lighting look you are after.  

• Like 2