Objects within solid additions/subtractions jumping location?

line-weight

Question

Am I right to think that an object that's part of a solid subtraction or addition ought to have an absolute position, relative to the drawing origin?

In other words, say I draw solid (A) and solid (B). I subtract solid (B) from solid (A), to create a new solid, (A-B).

The void in solid (A-B) is obviously in the same position as where solid B was, before I performed the subtraction.

Now I edit solid (A-B) - I go into it and move the location of solid (B), and then I exit it, and of course, the void in solid (A-B) has now moved.

Now I go back into edit solid (A-B). I don't change anything, I just copy solid B. I exit solid (A-B), and I do a paste-in-place of the copy of solid B. That copy of solid B should appear exactly where the void is, right?

And this logic ought to hold, however many solids I subtract and add to each other ..... right?

But either I am losing my mind, or some solids I am constructing are not behaving like this. See for example the file attached to this post. It contains a solid subtraction. Edit the solid subtraction. Copy either of the two objects it's made up from, exit it, and do a paste-in-place. When I do this, the pasted-in-place object appears in an offset location.

Firstly, can anyone replicate this, and secondly, why is this happening?

origin test.vwx

4 answers to this question

I am working from memory here, so apologies if I am wrong. I just tried this in VW2021 and did not see the behavior I am remembering, so either it has been changed, or I am just not doing the tasing correctly.

In my memory at least some types of objects moved back to their original creation location when they were edited. I don't think it was all objects, but I can't remember which types.

Basically, going back to the original 2D objects the 3D was created from (By Edit Solid/Enter Group) at some point you ended up with objects that were at a different point in space than where the 3D object was. Like it was storing the creation and some form of position translation that you could not easily access. If you went back far enough in the history eventually you would get objects that were back to where they were when the object was originally created.

Am I being clear enough?  Maybe someone who has a better recollection of this will chime in.

HTH

I've certainly noticed it with Extrude-along-path objects, which simply baffle me as far as the various internal origins and what they relate to are concerned (and the VW help is entirely unhelpful in explaining how they work). So am always ready for weird things to go wrong with them.

But in my example file... the furthest back in the history I can go is with the two circular objects which are extrudes. If I copy one of those circles that they are extruded from... it also lands in the wrong place if I paste-in-place outside of the subtraction.

Does the problem exist in my example file if you open it in VW2021 @Pat Stanford?

Some further testing:

If you create a solid subtraction, then move or rotate it, then a paste-in-place into the subtraction does not paste that object into the same location relative to the outside world.

I don't know if this is intended behaviour but I think it's what has been causing my problems. If you do this having only slightly adjusted the position of the subtraction, it's not necessarily obvious when you do it, that the paste-in-place is not doing what you expect.