Fake News - Vectorworks Inaccuracy

shorter

Question

Whenever there is a misalignment of information, why is it that the Vectorworks user is singled out?

I know some Vectorworks users are pretty shoddy when it comes to drafting accuracy (most of whom don't know their smartpoint from their smartedge) and I put this down to zero or inadequate training, but when a project is set up correctly, and everything can be proven to be located accurately, why are Vectorworks users always blamed for being wrong, even though we can demonstrate quite clearly that we are right?

We worked on a project around a year ago, where the surveyor produced a point cloud.  They were not asked to produce a point cloud but charged for it nonetheless.

The surveyor then build a very geometrically over-simplified 'BIM' model using a well-known software (not Vectorworks) and the point cloud as the base.  They did not ask where we would like them to model.  They did not ask where the project origin was.  They just modelled.  Nothing unusual there.  They also produced a load of really bad drawinhgs from the model.  Nothing unusual there either.

The [insert software name here] model was then issued, reluctantly, as an IFC, in OS cooridnates, along with the geo-located point cloud.

We set about creating our project template, setting up the coordinate system, coordinating the project origin and levels, etc.

We imported the point cloud and demonstrated independently that it was located in Vectorworks correctly.

We imported the IFC and demonstrated independently that it was located in Vectorworks correctly.

The design team consultants (and perhaps this issue is due to the sort of person that chooses to use a certain vendor's products...I don't know) imports the IFC, and the point cloud, but surprise, surprise, they do not align with their model.

They try again.

They open a blank file and try again.

Failed again.

Rather than try to figure out what might be happening in [insert software name here], perhaps testing different import settings, or project setup (they had not actually followed our recommended project setup and had not aligned project origins but of course they use [insert software name here] so are right...), they actually had the temerity to suggest that Vectorworks must have got it wrong bringing in the IFC and Point Cloud correctly because they couldn't!!!!

How does that happen?

Does this sound familiar?

I have once again today and also yesterday, been asked to check if Vectorworks is at fault, because data in Vectorworks does not align with [insert software name here], but I can demonstrate clearly that we are right, and have everything set up correctly, and also demonstrate through two non-proprietary IFC viewers, that the 'other' IFC is not set up correctly and yet we are still wrong, even though we are right!

If this is happening to you, get in touch.  We are happy to help you verify your data is correctly located or if not, help you so that it is.

Edited by shorter
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 answers to this question

Is [insertSoftwareTitleHere] the sort of vendor that use to get lawyers to ring up every office not known to be using their product and demand license fees on the grounds you couldn't do the work you do without their product so you must be using pirate copies?

I think some users buy in to the Bravado of the vendors claims and just assume everything they do must be right.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Matt Overton said:

Is [insertSoftwareTitleHere] the sort of vendor that use to get lawyers to ring up every office not known to be using their product and demand license fees on the grounds you couldn't do the work you do without their product so you must be using pirate copies?

I think some users buy in to the Bravado of the vendors claims and just assume everything they do must be right.

What do you mean “use to”?!

• Like 1