Double walls

Pauline

Our office designs many recording studios which require double and triple walls for acoustical purposes. These walls are often much more complex than can be created with the Wall Types dialog box. One option is for us to create parallel walls, but then any doors only break one of those walls. We have used wall openings to break the other walls, but this is messy, and it is difficult to get the jamb to look correct. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

Since it sounds like this is a recurring (standard?) door configuration, perhaps you should try making a symbol for each multiple wall type. In that way, you would have a clean 2D graphic and you could insert the correct door type in the symbol for the particular project. My idea isn't that smart, especially if you want 3D viewing capabilities- you'de have to muck around with the walls to make it look right. Does this help?

------------------

Jim McAuliffe, RA

• 1 month later...

I had a similar problem with a radio adn recording studio project. "I solved" the problem by creating one wall, installing a wall opening at the size of the door plus jamb reveal requirements, then replicated/duplicated the wall outward spaced accordingly. The door openings remain aligned. I then substited a door symbol for the opening in the wall, putting the door where it should be. Finally I kludged a "stub" wall to indicate the jamb closure. My 3D's looked OK to the client, especially when rendered w/ Remdrworks.