Rhino/Step imported solid is hollow

paullim

Question

I've got a marionette workflow that uses vs.IntersectSolid to identify points within a solid object.  It works totally fine with a solid made in vectorworks.

In order to get a better shape, I got it made in Rhino. When I import the Rhino file (3DM, IGS, STP, X_T), the imported solid is hollow, i.e. when i do a solid subtract you can see right into the inside of the object.  This means that it seems to only be the skin layer of the object that is imported. This makes the vs.IntersectSolid function non-functional because it only intersects with the edge and not the interior.

Can anyone help with how to fix this?  I've tried Stitch & Trim, but it only works with the IGES file where the surfaces are imported as individual NURBS, however the solid created is still hollow. Is there any way to tell if there is a hole somewhere in the object that is preventing it from being a solid?  It's showing as solid in Rhino with no holes.

This is IGS version with simplified surfaces, removed the NURBS to see if that made a difference:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/onheezc3b5lv2vs/Triangulated_Volume.igs?dl=0

Attached are a couple of versions of the Rhino file.

Thanks in advance!

Paul

Trimmed_Volume_v2a_RB.3dm Rhino_4.3dm

4 answers to this question

Rhino is a Surface Modeler meaning it only creates the surface and does not create the internal objects.

I don't know enough about Rhino to know if there is something you can do there to make the object a solid.

In VW, you could try and Convert to Generic Solids. That might give you the interior solid that you need for your Interest Solids to work.

• Like 1