Image Sizes

Just been scratching my head to understand the correlation between an image size in Pixels and the size of an image in the drawing area.

I have an image resource which is 3508 x 4961 pixels and that correlates to a 14257mm x 20162mm Bitmap object in the drawing area. Is there a magic formula as to how the image size is worked out. 

Ultimately what I want to work out is what dictates the size of the the Edit Box for the Attribute Mapping Tool when used on Image Fills.

Many thanks

I'm not completely sure I understand your question, but image size is based on output resolution. So, If you're outputting to an inkjet printer that has a 150 dpi resolution. the image size would be the size of the output times 150 in pixels. So, if a 5' object at 1/2" scale it would actually be 2 1/2" wide and then 2.5x150=375 pixels.

If the out put his 300dpi, then 750.

If only outputting to a screen, then only the screen resolution matters, the rest is extraneous. That's more difficult to calculate, especially since we can all zoom in and out.

Does that help?

Sorry Kevin, I didn't explain properly. 

If I import an image file of 3508 x 4961 pixels,  what is it about the import process that gives me an object in the drawing area of 14257mm x 20162mm. I have worked out that there is some correlation with the Screen dpi setting in Document Preferences, but that is about it. There must me some import algorithm that sets the size of the Bitmap object, but for the life of me I can't work out what it is. 

Does the import algorithm take into account the screen resolution?

Thanks

@markdd Prior to importing to VWX, you image has a pixel dimension and DPI set.

When you import the image into VWX, takes that information as the basis for the import and then apply the design layer scale to end up with an image that is sized accordingly.

Example, create an image in your image editing software that is sized 1"x1" at 72 DPI.  Then create a second image that is 1"x1" at 100 DPI.

Create a new VWX document, set the design layer scale to 1:1.

Import the two images, they will both come in at 1"x1"

Create a new design layer at 1:48 and repeat the image imports, they will come in 4'x4'.

So, in your example, determine what DPI the image file is saved in and what your design layer scale is set to and you will have your answer 🙂

• Like 3

Hi guys, can I asked additional question to the above?

I am importing images to the Resource Manager to use them as fills for my conceptual design. What I find is that some images are reproduced licely, i.e. are big enough to be legible and give a sense of texture, whilst others are so tiny that the result is a solid colour and the micro-images comprising the fill are only visible under a massive zoom.

I didn't seem to see correlation with the resolution here, when I tried the same image saved with different settings.

I can obviously manipulate the image attributes, but only in the design layer. I would like to avoid that exercise altogether and be able to apply raster image fils only in sheet layers.

Any ideas here?