3d for residential

Clay

Does anyone use the 3d drawing for residential work? If so, what do you do? Can you draw in 3d so that the elevations can BE the elevation drawings? Is it time saving or time consuming?

I'd like to hear your experience with that.

Thanks

Clay

------------------

Clay Preston

Village Habitat Design

Conservation Community

www.VillageHabitat.com

hi there -

most of our work is residential, and we do 3d models of most projects. the key for us was to understand that 3D models are made with only a small amount of extra work. In addition, we have found that having a model enables us (and our clients) to more clearly understand how parts are coming together. the key is to learn and understand 'Z' and 'delta Z' values and layer links. The VW manual and Vectorworks Architect manuals, as well as Janis Kent's WorksManual 8.5 explain what this means.

can one easily make elevation drawings that update with the model? no, but we have found that in building the model, elevations are not even generated until late in the design process. at a time when we feel we can 'safely' generate elevations, we set up views of our 3d model, take a 'snap-shot' of it using the 'convert copy to lines' command, then remove/add extraneous lines, fills, etc. as necessary.

good luck,

------------------

d. s h a f f e r

a r c h i t e c t

• 2 months later...

To add to D Shaffer's description, My office stays with several linked 3D layers - each set to a different view setup and we are able at any time to turn on the 3D layer of view of interest and observe the effects of any design action or change.

These layer sets also enable us to create view sets which can be composed into quicktime movies for sending CD's or VHS videos (I have movie capable Macs) to clients to see progress or to view as part of an in-office or Laptop on thier coffee table presentation.

It is only at the late stages of final production that we do similarly to D Shaffer's firm and use the convert features to make construction document views. We also include Black and White 3D views, rendered as no hidden line final views on various sheets where they become a big help in understanding what we the contractor to build.

Most times we even plot the color rendered views (buy VW Architect and Renderworks!) directly to the construction documents - a picture is worth many words or gigabytes to people bidding it and building it in the field!