Rendered Plant Symbols

Pamela

Reference Topic: How to create color plant symbols in plant catalog

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=000349

I have managed to get our custom symbols into the plant catalog and they work very nicely for the most part, but my rendering of the symbols isn't working right. I understand the referenced topic of colored symbols and the backmost layer will take on the attributes as assigned in the drawing. I have set a white fill to this shape for that reason, directly on top of this white fill I have a duplicate shape with a light to dark gradient, which shows correctly in the resource browser and when the symbol is opened for editing as well as when I place the symbol by click and drag from the resource browser. The problem is when I use the place plant command the gradient changes to a ying/yang type look (left half of the symbol is light and right half is dark - but the colors are the two colors from the gradient) What am I missing here?

The ultimate goal I am working towards is to develop a plant library the entire office can use with symbols already rendered so every drawing has a consistant color pallette. I have the objects that comprise the symbol on 2 different classes (plnt and plnt-colr) to allow the color to be turned on/off as needed (is this part of the problem? It doens't seem to make a difference if the symbol is on one class or two)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Pamela, your question is a good one.

1. Gradients in particular are tricky, because they have a scale and orientation factor that is instance-dependent. Can you email me an example symbol or plant object in an MCD file? ( email to : randerson@nemetschek.net )

2. Classes within symbols should not be a problem.

Robert

In a related plant colouring issue - I am trying to put three different classes to my plant symbols: B&W (for black and white, no fill), Colour, and shadow (colour with a shadow hatch). This way I can very easily change to a rendered drawing by saving views with the different classes turned off or on. These don't seem to work consistantly and they don't turn out exactly as the symbol shows in the resource browser. What can I do to make these consistent? If you want, I can e-mail you a trial file where I have played with these.

Robert

I agree with the shadows, but I don't seem to get consistent results with the symbols using the classes for colours. I have used two separate overlapping symbols, one for black & white and one for colour. Sometimes the black and white one shows up with the colour and sometimes not. Sometimes some of the colour aspects shows up or only partially shows up.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This depends. The backmost fillable object in the plant symbol is "special" and is treated as an object that can be set by the attributes of the object. If instead you want to use a class-color approach, duplicate this object and send it again to back within your plant symbol. The idea is that the first object will be colored by attribute, but then will be hidden by your classed objects. This is addressed (however briefly) in the online documentation. Look for the third bullet point in the topic "Plant Catalog Symbols".