Update all 2d Views of 2d/3d Symbol by generating 2d from 3d components?

Hello all,

I have been working on creating some Heat Recovery Ventilation (HRV) 2d/3d symbols for projects, and I think I have generally got the workflow down well enough but there is one aspect that is a bit annoying in terms of time/steps it takes. To make these HRV symbols, I model the whole thing - ducts included - in 3d, and then use the "Generate 2d from 3d Components" command to create the 2d views of the HRV symbol for plans/sections. My issue is that as far as I can tell, I have to individually switch to each different 2d view and then "Generate" the 2d symbol for each separate view. This is a bit frustrating when I have 5 different views (top, left, right, front, and back) that I want to update anytime after I make alterations to the 3d symbol. Maybe this is a minor complaint, but it would be really nice if there was a way to generate all 2d views from the 3d model with one command/click instead of having to do each one individually. I'm sure this is something Vectorworks could easily handle as it shouldn't be much/any extra work for the program, and it would save the user time and effort. Is there any way to do something like this already that I am missing or haven't discovered yet? And if not, it would be really nice to have that functionality added. Again, maybe this is something of a niche issue, but I'm sure there are others out there who would benefit from something like this. I suppose there might be a way to do this via scripts? It might be relatively straightforward but I don't have any experience creating or even using scripts, so I have no idea how that would be done.

Any thoughts? Thank you very much.

You are right. It would be a really helpful command. Perhaps a Right-click option on the Symbol in the Resource manager that would then ask you which views to update.

Do you know that Symbols can be set to Mirror opposite 2D Views? Its in the Symbol Options dialog.That may not be something you wish to do but it will save two or three steps which is always welcome if there are lots of symbols to update.

• Like 1