Custom Panel - connector names & types

AceRoehrborn

-I have created a bunch of connectors on a custom panel in the schematic layer. 

-Using Layout-> Update Rack Elevation the system creates the custom panel on the Rack Elevation layer.  

-On the custom panel I use the get connectors command to populate the connectors.  

-If I want to change the name of the connector on the panel I use the little drop down menu on the connector (see attachment)

-This works great and is a way faster way of updating the names than doing a bunch of clicking on the sockets in the schematic layer.

The problem is it does not seem to be updating the Socket Name of the device in the schematic layer.  (See attachement).  This becomes a big deal if you run "Get Connectors" for that panel again, all the names are wiped out and refreshed with the socket names from the devices in the schematic layer.

The same is true if I use this method to change the connector of the socket.  

It would be really nice if this info was pushed back to the schematic layer.

VW2021 SP2 

Connector names.png

Socket Device Name.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Well changing the schematic socket name this way wasn't really a workflow that I had in mind. And it really begs the question in my mind as to whether that's what you would want to do every time? Changing stuff automatically on another layer that you can't see falls under the heading of "unforeseen consequences" in my book. We should definitely be very cautious about that.

My 2c worth.

Conrad

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Well suppose you wanted to add some extra connectors on your panel that weren't in the schematic? You could grab the connector symbol from Default Content but you would want to set the name.

Or supposing you had saved a pre-built panel as a symbol and dragged it in, and then you wanted to manually assign the connectors to match the ones on your schematic?

Just two cases off the top of my head.

Conrad

• 7 months later...

For the record I agree with the OP in this thread, just had the exact same problem.

In response to:

"Changing stuff automatically on another layer that you can't see falls under the heading of "unforeseen consequences" in my book. We should definitely be very cautious about that."

How is that any different from the having the names get overwritten when you update from the schematic through 'Get Connectors'?  The only real difference I see is that in that case you can see the changes happen and know you screwed up.  But realistically then there should be an operation in the reverse, you should be able to pull in changes on the schematic to update the name if you are worried about making sure it is always visible when the change happens (Though how true that is can be debated in CAD in general honestly).

I would argue the converse of your point -- if you see it, you should be able to edit it safely and have it flow through your drawing -- should be true and it often isn't in ConnectCAD.  Part of the problem I am having with ConnectCad in particular (And Vectorworks in general to an extent though not as much as it used to be going off memory) is that 'There is only one workflow' instead of 'Hey this is one possible workflow' or even 'This is a suggested workflow'.  It makes it very difficult to wrap your head around, for instance, making connector panels when it seems like you should be able to do this X number of ways, but every way except Z breaks things unexpectedly.  For instance the first time I tried to make connector panels, I tried to create them without making it on the schematic first.  Failed miserably obviously, despite it seeming like that should be possible.  

Thomas

• Like 1