Equipment item title

AceRoehrborn

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
12 minutes ago, AceRoehrborn said:

Is it possible to change the text size or wrap of the text on equipment items in the elevation view?  I have found the setting to change the text align, but I can't seem to figure out how to change the size or wrap of the text label.

Custom Panel Label.png

- Try with the menu command Text->Size. It should be working on equipment Items.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

2 minutes ago, AceRoehrborn said:

Nikolay,

Changing font definitely works great.  Is there a way to change the wrap so the text is not constrained to the width of the device?  On small devices even with small text size it is hard to avoid the wrap, which does not look super nice.

- I think that it is not allowed to have the text expand beyond the rectangle, as of now.

Hi Neil,

That's not a bug but our attempt to make this object just work regardless of what you do. The name display is prioritised over the Make and Model. In general I think it's preferable to avoid adding a miasma of tweaks and settings to a piece of software and instead put the complexity inside the software. If we can cover 98% of use cases I reckon we've done a good job. Adding extra controls to cover the remaining 2% comes at a heavy price - the software becomes incomprehensible for new users!

When you consider the cognitive load imposed on people by the sum total of the software they use, it makes every bit of sense to do our best to relieve this.

Conrad

Conrad,

Totally makes sense.  I completely agree with your efforts to keep things simple and this choice completely makes sense for rack items.  I thought it was a bug because it didn't behave like the item name.

Part of what I am running into is that I am laying out a number of custom panels that are not in racks and some are 1 gang panels.  So that makes them a bit small with regards to managing text so that has become difficult to deal with.  I like the workflow I am using but it has some side effects.  I am noodling around changing the symbols I am using for laying out custom gang plates to just make them larger (invisibly) to solve the text size issue.

Attached is an example.  I really need to display part numbers on the drawings for having the custom plates made and unfortunately the MFG part number is pretty long.

If I ruled the world(which I obviously don't), I would probably make it so the make/model number followed the text size like name/title does.  That would be relatively easy to comprehend from a user standpoint.

My other idea/whish list item would be if the the text align is set to above, it might be cool if the text would just be allowed to spill over the width of the equipment item.  Or as I suggested above have a "wrap text" option in the oip that would either constrain it to the width or let it spill over.  This would apply to the name as well as make/model.

Just my thoughts!  Thanks for consideration.

Neil

1 Gang.png

@AceRoehrborn

Hey Neil,

I began writing up the case for a Text Wrap checkbox and I had a thought...

Seems to me that we should wrap the text when it is displayed within the Equipment boundary i.e. Left, Center, Right but it should not be wrapped when displayed Above. That  way it will "just work" without extra controls. What do you think? Would that fix your issues?

Conrad

Conrad,

Great solution!

I like that idea.  I think it strikes a good balance between function and complexity.  I think that would solve all the problems on my current drawing.   I think that would be a much better default than wrapping the text when it is "Above" the device.  In my humble opinion it is at least what I would have expected to happen.

I started this thread by asking about changing text size.

The answer was 

- Try with the menu command Text->Size. It should be working on equipment Items

I would also advocate for a small tweak so when you change the text size that text size setting affects the the make and model text label as well as the item name.  I believe it currently only changes the item name.

Last thing I found yesterday with regard to this text, it appears the name text size is not affected by the text size when a 3d Symbol is used??  Additionally the "Display->Text align:" also does not work on the 3d symbol.  If you try to replicate the DRd12 symbol I used in this case was pulled right from the VW symbol library.  Photos attached.  Of course if I "draw in front view" the text labels do work as expected.

Neil

3d Item changed.png

3d Item no change.png

• 3 months later...