VW 2021 - Section Line Tool

genie

With the new section line tool, the marker is able to be saved as a style,  but the placement/orientation of the text are not as flexible depending on which direction the section markers is pointing to. (See attached image). "Auto rotate" option causes the "sheet" and "drawing no" to switch places. We used to be able to drag where the text falls relative to the marker regardless of the marker direction but not now when it's a style.

Is there a way around this?

TIA!

Screenshot 2020-11-19 135843.jpg

To avoid “sheet” and “drawing no.” switching when “auto rotate” is selected, pay attention to the “sheet” and “drawing no.” text box settings: it might be related with its vertical alignment and with the fact that both values are in the same box (which mirrors on its center when rotated) instead of being in separate text boxes (so they don’t switch places)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 11/19/2020 at 5:01 PM, genie said:

With the new section line tool, the marker is able to be saved as a style,  but the placement/orientation of the text are not as flexible depending on which direction the section markers is pointing to. (See attached image). "Auto rotate" option causes the "sheet" and "drawing no" to switch places. We used to be able to drag where the text falls relative to the marker regardless of the marker direction but not now when it's a style.

Is there a way around this?

TIA!

Screenshot 2020-11-19 135843.jpg

Can you attach a file with the section lines as you show them in your screenshot?  I will take a look and show you how to best fix this.

hi,

i have problems with the tool too.

i use the german version 2021 Sp. 1, on macos 10.15.7

Problem:

sectionline in a viewport on a designlayer.

if i scale the text in the viewport settings.

the text will be mirrored!?

i made a service select ticket and got the

answer, (the german support ask at the homebase in the u.s.)

that this is wat (works as designed).

sorry computerworks inc.,

no one could expect such a solution (i think).

please fix that.

later i send a screenshot from the problem, when im on my desktop.

greetings

tobi

hi @genie not sure mine is the right way to fix it, but here attached your file edited.
This has happened to me in the past also with text in symbols and tags, and I still remember a night before a deadline spent trying to understand (and fix) a last-minute potential big fail due to mirrored information/symbols. When the position of the text (top-bottom) has semantic relevance (e.g. for windows dimension in some countries), using one or two text boxes and controlling text alignment is crucial in my experience.
A question for @Matt Panzer: is there any other way to force a new/multiple line in dynamic text (e.g. section line, markers, tags etc.)?

VW2021 SECTION LINES ISSUES.vwx

Screenshot 2020-11-23 at 19.12.05.png

Edited by str

Mi Matt,

greetings, and many thnx for your answer.

Here is the demo file with my described problem

and also a screenshot.

The File was generated with the german version (SP1).

I opened a blank "virgin" file, with nothing in it.

The problem came from scale text in viewports on designlayer.

Hope you can fix this soon.

Greetings, have a nive week and stay healthy.

Tobi

471782371_Bildschirmfoto2020-11-23um19_19_49.thumb.png.3c6d9ea917b5e54ebf742f53c60bacb7.png

20-11-07 BUG Schnittlinie.vwx

1 hour ago, Tobias Kern said:

… and sorry i described my problem a bit wrong.

not the text get mirrored the marker gets mirrored.

… had it a little bit wrong in my mind.

Thanks for the file!

Actually, it's the marker location that changes.  The end marker distance from the beginning marker become scaled.  If you change the scale smaller or bigger, you'll see what I mean.  I'm also seeing a similar problem with detail callout markers.

I submitted this as a bug (VB-175591).

Hi Matt,

thnx for your reply and the investigation you do.

It is important for us users (hope is speak for the most,

hat we see and feel, that our problems are on a way for a fix.

So big thump up to you, from me!

/ / / 

If you want one more problem, i have one?

The text scale of a dimensioning (hope i translated it right with google)

in a viewport on a designlayer, also make problems (since years).

more then once in a year i wrote a ticket to the german service,

but this problem isn't addressed.

i have another VW 2021 file with the described problem.

i think it is quite similar (or in a approximate direction) with the other scale problems.

my description in the file is in german, but maybe you can translate it to english.

in a short way:

text of dimension scale not right if you have more than one usermade dimension

standard in the list (see file).

if you have only one usermade dimension standard in the list, then the text scale is working.

make a duplicate of the working standard: the scale of the duplicate is wrong!

the first in the list works. the 2nd and following don' t work, even the duplicate

are made of the working (1st one).

Funny is that, when you delete the 1st working standard and the 2nd standard

(which don't work before) gets in the list on position 1: now the old 2nd and new 1st

standard in the list works magically!

Greetings and hope this long lasting bug gets fixed!

Tob

20-11-07 BUG Textskalierung.vwx

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Tobias Kern said:

Hi Matt,

thnx for your reply and the investigation you do.

It is important for us users (hope is speak for the most,

hat we see and feel, that our problems are on a way for a fix.

So big thump up to you, from me!

/ / / 

If you want one more problem, i have one?

The text scale of a dimensioning (hope i translated it right with google)

in a viewport on a designlayer, also make problems (since years).

more then once in a year i wrote a ticket to the german service,

but this problem isn't addressed.

i have another VW 2021 file with the described problem.

i think it is quite similar (or in a approximate direction) with the other scale problems.

my description in the file is in german, but maybe you can translate it to english.

in a short way:

text of dimension scale not right if you have more than one usermade dimension

standard in the list (see file).

if you have only one usermade dimension standard in the list, then the text scale is working.

make a duplicate of the working standard: the scale of the duplicate is wrong!

the first in the list works. the 2nd and following don' t work, even the duplicate

are made of the working (1st one).

Funny is that, when you delete the 1st working standard and the 2nd standard

(which don't work before) gets in the list on position 1: now the old 2nd and new 1st

standard in the list works magically!

Greetings and hope this long lasting bug gets fixed!

Tob

20-11-07 BUG Textskalierung.vwx 446.6 kB · 1 download

I found an open bug report for this same issue (VB-171797).  I will add a comment and a link to this message to help nudge it.  🙂 

• Like 1

@Matt Panzer I might be out of topic here - I apologise for it - but do you know if there is any way to force multiline text in tags, as in the attached example? I very often need to duplicate tags, providing an "unlinked/manual" version (e.g. when modelling 3d windows which I am not able to model with the door/window tool). In that case, to avoid the "flipping" issue shown by @genie, a multiline text box is needed or some kind of spacer (e.g. the <br> html tag).

Currently the only workaround I found is to combining text box width and font size, but this leads to many possible graphic issues (e.g. when scaling text). Thanks in advance all the work you're doing (smart markers are such a good tool!).

Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 09.42.23.png

MULTILINE TAGS.vwx

Edited by str
3 hours ago, str said:

@Matt Panzer I might be out of topic here - I apologise for it - but do you know if there is any way to force multiline text in tags, as in the attached example? I very often need to duplicate tags, providing an "unlinked/manual" version (e.g. when modelling 3d windows which I am not able to model with the door/window tool). In that case, to avoid the "flipping" issue shown by @genie, a multiline text box is be needed or some kind of spacer (e.g. the <br> html tag).

Currently the only workaround I found is to combining text box width and font size, but this leads to many possible graphic issues (e.g. when scaling text). Thanks in advance all the work you're doing (smart markers are such a good tool!).

Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 09.42.23.png

MULTILINE TAGS.vwx 181.47 kB · 0 downloads

There is no better way to do this that I know of.  You might want to repost this in the wishlist forum so it gets more attention (and can be voted up).  Multiline and wrapping text options would be nice for these objects.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/24/2020 at 1:51 PM, Matt Panzer said:

There is no better way to do this that I know of.  You might want to repost this in the wishlist forum so it gets more attention (and can be voted up).  Multiline and wrapping text options would be nice for these objects.

Here we go!

• Like 1