Best 3D file format for Importing

Hey Everyone,

Just wondering what everyones preferred file format for importing Complex 3D files into Vectorworks is. I have tired 3DS and OBJ  but with both Vectorworks seems to struggle with a bit. 

My Machine is

AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT

64gb RAM

1gb Samsung SSD 970 EVO

GeForce RTX 2080TI

The main slow part is importing. Takes hours and when I check the performance of what the PC is doing nothing is stressing out so that makes me think that Vectorworks its self is struggling with it.

Thanks for the help

🙂

Edited by JonnyC

You mean 3D Mesh formats, like from Blender, Modo, C4D, ....

not CAD files ?

In this case VW import options are a bit limiting.

Beside most CAD Apps don't really like Mesh data.

(I think VW is even on the better side here)

If it is about CAD exchange,

I always try to get exports in IFC or DWG first,

if not possible I would accept, in the worst case, RVT, DXF than Rhino.

It very much depends on the quality of the file, which varies a lot. I personally use OBJ for the most part as the program I export from typically delivers rock solid results with perfect UV mapping of textures. The results are consistent when importing to a wide range of programs. I have however found that you have to try a few formats when the model comes from an unknown source. This applies to many programs that can read these file types, even high end ones heavily relying on being able to import files. So, the conclusion is to try to get at least a few different file types and use the file type providing the best possible result with any given file. 

I totally agree with  Claes. I import a lot of objects into  VW and for me, obj works the best in most cases. Mainly because the textures on the object(s) are very faithful to how they should appear.  That said, many times after import you will need to flip the orientation and sometimes scale the objects. I will say that the only other choice is 3ds, but I have found that less reliable, especially where  ore complex textures are in involved.

Just importing a model correctly is unfortunately not good enough. On the OBJ side, VW could improve it substantially by leaving the original internal file and object / texture  structure alone. As it is now, it tends to merge things into meshes in a completely erratic way. It effectively stops models from being edited and textured in an efficient way. I have bug reported it.  

• 3 months later...
On 11/20/2020 at 7:50 PM, Kevin K said:

I totally agree with  Claes. I import a lot of objects into  VW and for me, obj works the best in most cases. Mainly because the textures on the object(s) are very faithful to how they should appear.  That said, many times after import you will need to flip the orientation and sometimes scale the objects. I will say that the only other choice is 3ds, but I have found that less reliable, especially where  ore complex textures are in involved.

@Kevin K @Claes Lundstrom @zoomer

I imported a *.obj. 'nespresso machine'.

Along with the model I got the images of buttons, logo and also a bump file which I all imported in resource manager to apply. Doing this by hand since it doesn't come by importing the object.

Also the model is one big mesh group containing lots of 3D polygons. So it's quite a lot of work to go into the group and select the 3D polygons that need to have the same texture (i.e. milk, transparent containers, shiny chrome parts etc).

Is this normal way of handling an object file? Or is there a better approach?

Edited by C.T

@C.T sometimes it is difficult to resolve issues like this without actually having access to the files.

is it possible for you to post all of the associated files relating to the object in question, so we can see if we are having the same problems?  There are times when Importing an obj file into VW is not working as expected, so I will open it in Cinema 4d, then export it back out as an obj file to reimport into VW.  I realize not everyone has c4d, but if you can post all the files related to that object, I am happy to see if I can get it looking right for you.

remember.....all obj files MUST have an accompanying.mtl (materials) file.

42 minutes ago, Kevin K said:

@C.T sometimes it is difficult to resolve issues like this without actually having access to the files.

is it possible for you to post all of the associated files relating to the object in question, so we can see if we are having the same problems?  There are times when Importing an obj file into VW is not working as expected, so I will open it in Cinema 4d, then export it back out as an obj file to reimport into VW.  I realize not everyone has c4d, but if you can post all the files related to that object, I am happy to see if I can get it looking right for you.

remember.....all obj files MUST have an accompanying.mtl (materials) file.

@Kevin K I managed to get this far in vectorworks, see rendered image.

1395263148_2021-03-1414_00_29-VectorworksArchitect2021-Nespresso_vwx.thumb.png.91b74068152452e193a8a8d185f6c4d8.png

I'll send you the files.

Edited by C.T

@C.T Yes, after analyzing the obj file and noting that it was created originally in 3d Max, the moron who exported the file to .obj format

had no idea what he/she was doing :-).

That is why you were having an issue.  Not your fault at all.

Normally you would not need to spend any time tweaking the obj import.

• Like 2

It is likely that the "Best" format will be highly dependent on how the export was done. If a vendor offers three different file versions, you probably will want to test all three and see which one gets you the best results for your needs.

I know you are talking about 3D formats not CAD, but I regularly import cad data format from different vendors. Usually I like STEP, but there are some vendors where IGES or even DWG provides a much cleaner and easier to use version of the file.

I wish that people who are exporting these models would think about how they are going to be used. We rarely need to have any interior details. Just get the exterior dimensions correct and give us enough pieces so we can apply textures (or better yet use the already applied textures) to parts made of different materials.

I hate it when I have to edit an object to apply different textures (which the manufacturer is specifying) because they exported a single part instead of two.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Kevin K said:

@C.T No problem.  My pleasure.  

Just curious, are you going to use the espresso machine in an interior rendering??

That's the idea. Working on a kitchen design for a bungalow.

Do you mind I am using one of yours?