Title Blocks/Issue Manager

mgdecombe

Hello. I'm just learning to use Landmark, so forgive me if there is an obvious answer.

I print to 11x17 paper, which corresponds to the ASME B Drawing Area, and to the Predefined Style ASME B. Ok, so far, so good. However, when I want to use the Issue Manager, I get a pop-up that says I can't use it because I don't have "Architect Style Title Blocks".

Will it be necessary for me to create a custom title block in order to use it with 11 x 17 paper? Can anyone point me in the right direction for advice on how to do this?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

mgdecombe,

I have inserted my titleblock from the Landmark palette. I don't know if that helps.

I am really keen on using the Issue Manager part of the program and like yourself am new to VW. I have been converted from AutoCAD to VW no problem.

Robert or anyone else,

Is there anyway I can create my own titleblock that works in Issue Manager as the only good one in the Landmark palette are American based paper sheets like C/D/E/F etc.

Are there any good A3 - A0 title blocks in the CD provided or is there anywhere I can download them. The existing title blocks do not have Issue Manager information on them.

Cheers,

Brian Phillips

Golf Course Architect

PC

HP Designjet 500

VW11 - Landmark

Thanks, Brian.

I've figured out a solution which works for now, using the titleblock settings in the document setup menu. This still doesn't allow me to use the issue manager, which would be most helpful.

As I work with VW, I realize how valuable training in Landmark would be. Looking forward to the possibility of training in Q3 of 2005, or whenever it's available.

Best of luck to a fellow newbie!

Maureen

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Customizing Titleblocks in VW Landmark

VectorWorks Landmark sheets are created as symbols at a 1:1 scale. These symbols are saved with specific names in a particular VectorWorks file. They are accessed automatically by the Document Setup command, which scales the symbols as necessary for the drawing scales in your file.

These sheet symbols can be customized to match the graphic standards of your firm's standard sheet borders; this section provides the guidelines for this process.

You cannot rename or relocate the sheet symbol file ([VW]\Plug-ins\Common\Data\00_Arch_Sheets.mcd) or the symbols it contains. Make a copy of both the original file that ships with VectorWorks Landmark, and the file after you have modified it. Keep these copies in a safe location for use as a backup, should something happen to the original files.

Sheet symbols must meet the following requirements:

* They are stored in the library file [VW]\Plug-ins\Common\Data\00_Arch_Sheets.mcd;

* They are created at a 1:1 scale, using certain graphic primitives;

* They have a Drawing Border record attached; and,

* They use linked text to display this record field information in the title block area of the sheet.

Modify the provided sheet symbols as desired, but do not change the symbol names. (The symbols provided are National CAD Standard format sheet layouts.) Change the graphic objects and add logos (including image files) in the sheet symbols as desired. You can also change text field attributes, fonts, alignments, and sizes, but if you delete and replace an existing text object in the symbol, you must re-link it to the record, which can be time consuming.

Currently, you can use any 2D object supported in VectorWorks except other symbols (nested symbols) in your sheet symbol. Do not group the objects within the symbol. These guidelines are necessary for the scaling algorithm currently used by the Create Standard Viewport command to scale the symbol to the correct scale for the sheet desired.

The Drawing Border Record

The Drawing Border record format determines the contents of the title block in the sheet border symbol. The fields are linked to text in the title block. The contents of these linked fields display in the Issue Manager dialog boxes; this allows you to easily manage the information for an entire set of drawings.

Some of these fields are used in special ways by the Create Standard Viewports command and the Issue Manager:

* FieldName28 - This field holds the name of the VectorWorks sheet. The Create Standard Viewports command normally completes this field automatically. This field allows the Issue Manager to automatically display the sheets behind the Sheet Info dialog box as you review the sheets. For more information, see The Issue Manager.

* FieldName30, FieldName31, FieldName32 - These fields store the actual revision block information for the title block. They are maintained by the Issue Manager and should not be edited manually.

* Any of the other fields can be edited manually, although if you are using the Issue Manager, none of them need to be manually edited. If you are using the Issue Manager, some of the individually-edited project information fields (those that are the same for all sheets) may be overwritten when you issue a set of drawings.

Note: Do not change the names of any fields in the Drawing Border record.

Robert,

Thanks for that. There are only two titleblocks in the file. Arc A and Arc B which I suppose correspond to the vertical style and the horizontal style.

There is a problem with the way you have suggested. The scaling for these titleblocks are for the amercian paper sizes are they not?

If I changed the shape of Arc A and Arc B and then used them in my drawings for the normal European paper sizes is the scaling in the script not going to be wrong?

Cheers,

Brian.

ps..I hope you can solve this as I really like the Issue manager.

to create my custom title block I used the A3 title block from the file that Robert told you about. Then I changed the font sizes and types, added logos, deleted parts that I don?t want, and generally mucked around with it until I was happy with it. you may not recognise it as being one of the ones that Robert guided you to:

-

The I saved this in my library. I don?t use the create std. sheets command so it doesn?t matter too much where I save my title blocks.

I also found that you can create pretty much any tile block you want, provided that you use the correct record format. If you don?t how to link text to record then this and how to make custom title blocks is covered in my Architect Tutorial manual.

Robert,

Sorry but I have only the two drawings that I mentioned. Should I install the the CD again? Is there any risk in doing that with my work already on my harddrive?

Shall I send you a copy of the file that I have or could you send me another file by email? The file that I have is only 412 k in size does that sound right?

Cheers,

Brian.

Robert,

I have just realised what I have been doing wrong...sorry. The drawings are there when I open the resource browser. I had just been looking at what was open in layers.

Sorry about that and thanks again.

Will let you know how I get on adjusting the ones I am interested in.