chevron flooring hatch

Hello

I am trying to make a chevron hatch. I have got so far but cannot seam to get the points to meet between the chevrons. Can anyone help? 

The details are

45 degree angle

566mm x 106mm long plank, set out 400mm and 150mm apart. 

I have attached what I would like to achieve and what i have so far...

what needs to look like:

https://ibb.co/kQ51Bx0

so far:

https://ibb.co/mND1hm5

You'll need 5 or 6 levels. Draw a sample in Vectorworks from which you can take measures is the simplest approach.

If you make each level a different colour it is easier to visualize while creating a hatch.

These numbers will give you a chevron pattern but maybe not to the spacing you desire.

LVL 1 / 0,0° / 50.8,45° / 0.5 / 50.8,-45°

LVL 2 / 0,0° / 50.8,-45° / 0.5 / 50.8,45°

LVL 3 / 35.9,0° / 50.8,45° / 0.5 / 50.8,-45°

LVL 4 / 35.9,0° / 50.8,-45° / 0.5 / 50.8,45°

LVL 5 / 0,0° / 50.8,0° / 1.0 / 50.8,-45°

LVL 6 / 25.4,45° / 50.8,0° / 1.0 / 50.8,-45°

I couldn't do it in under 33 layers.

If my math is to be believed each diagonal line will have a collinear repeat every 2400mm x 2400mm.  So it takes 16 layers (2400/150) of lines going one way, 16 layers of lines going the other way, and 1 layer to do the vertical lines.

I don't personally know anyone who is actually good at creating hatches, so I'll be interested to learn if there is a more efficient way of doing this.

Chevron Hatch.vwx

This thread has prompted me to have a go at something I've been meaning to do for a while which make a hatch to go with a clay pantile texture. However I now realise why I put off doing it for so long. I understand in principle what I need to do but I'm really struggling to understand the relationship between the lines in my sample drawing bot left + the 'start', 'repeat', 'dash factor' + 'offset' settings in the edit hatch dialog.

1851204588_Screenshot2020-11-19at08_08_15.thumb.png.a91b9150b8a5c7cbf5b70ee2964514d1.png

I have dissected existing hatches + done endless playing around with the parameters to try + understand how it works but am getting nowhere. I divided my curvy line into individual straight segments but I have no conception of how many levels will be required (or how I'd work this out) or how to translate the parameters for the lines in the drawing into the edit hatch settings.

I am quite happy spending the time building the levels if I knew how I needed to do it. Normally you can figure these things out by trial + error but not in this case for me at least...

Any guidance gratefully received

Thanks

Edited by Tom W.

Here's the one I did, backsaved to 2020 and 2019.

Hi @markdd.  Much simpler :-).  But it looks like yours is a square repeat pattern.  It doesn't have the 400 x 150 ratio in the pattern from @Chrissy.a's post.  (I could be misunderstanding her question.)

I couldn't figure out a way to do that specific pattern w/o 33 levels.  But I'm not very good at making hatches.😄

Chevron Hatch v2019.vwx Chevron Hatch v2020.vwx

5 minutes ago, markdd said:

I've seen some insane hatches over the years. I assure you those PanTiles are a synch!! I'll have a go in a quiet moment. Sadly no long train journeys these days which were excellent for figuring stuff like this out...

Man if you can do one that would be amazing. It should definitely be possible. My experiments have it repeating over insane distances though + I just don't have the maths/geometry knowledge/brainpower to figure it out. I'm trying a much simpler more symmetrical version just to get something that works...

I would love to know how you'd approach something like this, just to get my head around it. This hatch for example has 980 levels!

191905518_Screenshot2020-11-19at16_59_56.thumb.png.e7b36a27be9dc74644ea88afb46298a5.png

I attached a little gift that I have used for years. Not sure where I found it and it was initially created with "AutoBad", but don't let that put you off :-)

It is a VW 2019 file. It does have a ton of hatches that would be a bit of a challenge to create in VW.

Creating hatches in VW requires a degree in quantum physics, and is one of THE most arcane tools in VW, in my opinion.

*You will probably need to scale them to suit your project, but that is easy.

acad hatches v2019.vwx

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, michaelk said:

@markdd   Check out @Chrissy.a's first photo.  It doesn't repeat every other column.  I think it repeats every 6 columns.  (400 x 150)

There are only six columns in the photo? I just loaded the image into Vectorworks and traced it using the move by points tool and it repeats every other column....! Unless I am missing something obvious or not so obvious... 

They do repeat.  

2400/150 = 16 rows.

2400/400 = 6 columns.

That's a 2400 x 2400 square so a 45º line will repeat perfectly.

Using Cartesian (not polar) coordinates:

Start the line at 0,0

Repeat at 2400,2400

Dash factor 1/6

Offset 800,0

Start the next level at 0,150…

It takes one level for each of the 16 rows going in the positive X direction.  Then 16 levels going the negative X direction.