Usefulness of VA

Tina

I would like to know what Vectorworks Architect offers if you do not use the VA Setup Assistant (which seems to be rather limiting). What features offered by VA are independent of this Setup? Is it useful if you choose not to use the VA Setup?

I am currently trying to figure out how to do exactly what you describe.

Architect is only really useful if you work the way it wants you to, i.e. the way the Setup Assistant sets it up.

Essentially, we are using all of the class and layer names created by the plug-in objects, but assigning our own colors and line weights (mainly because we like to draw on a black background).

I have also tried to cull out the classes and layers which are not applicable to the types of drawings we do to reduce 'clutter'.

Another thing that is important for us to be able to do is to have more than one person working on a project at the same time. The VA Setup Assistant assumes you want everything (plans, elevations, sections, details, etc.) in one file. My idea is to have a plan file with all the 3d info and a layer link layer which is workgroup referenced to the elevation/section/interior elev files.

Time will tell if this philosophy is actually more productive than our old 2d 'virtual drafting table' approach.

If you like the idea of working in 3d and generating your drawings from the model, then Architect is pretty handy. If your doing mostly 2d drafting it doesn't offer that much over basic VectorWorks.

• 3 months later...