How to change window glass settings

Hi all,

This may be a rookie question, but I can't find the answer after a fair bit of searching.  How does one go about changing the properties of glass inside of a window? 

I'm currently designing a garden within a courtyard, which has many windows facing onto it. For renders I want to make the windows opaque or mirrored rather than the default transparent ones.  I've tried changing the object render texture to mirrored glass but this doesn't seem to do anything and I can't see any settings with the other options for the windows more generally relating to the glass etc.

Please can anyone tell me how to do this?

Thanks!

p.s. using VW2021 if that makes any difference.

Hi Hans,

Thanks for that link. That particular article unfortunately didn't quite answer my question and seems rather convoluted for something that must be a pretty normal requirement for many people using VW (being able to easily make glass reflective).  Anyway I'm actually using Enscape to do my final renders and have since figured out that I can edit the glass properties directly in it's own interface which is much more intuitive and give the desired result.

For anyone else using Enscape, I'd encourage you to use the 'enscape materials tool' on the Enscape pad to edit your glass properties in there. Attached is a quick version of the internal mirrored windows I've done.  At the moment, with it being 4 sides all reflecting off each other, it's a bit crazy, but once I've filled the design with planting etc then it should be much better.

Enscape_2020-11-16-08-37-02.png

• Like 1

I would create a new class for 'mirrored glass'. Open resource browser, Create a new renderworks texture for mirrored glass, change reflectivity to metallic and transparency to glass but edit to the light transmission to required levels, adjust other settings in this texture to suit. Edit your new class and attach new class texture to the specific class. In your window settings set the glass class to the mirrored glass class rather than window component or glass component. 

Screenshot 2020-11-17 at 10.30.29.jpg

Screenshot 2020-11-17 at 10.32.00.jpg

Screenshot 2020-11-17 at 10.31.01.jpg

Screenshot 2020-11-17 at 10.36.36.jpg

did you try them both to see why? You can still add glass transparency to a metallic surface see below, i think the transparency for mirror is more like a mirror less like metalic filmed glass but its just my opinion. Also you have more options to play with in the bump mapping and textures on the metallic options.

image.png

Screenshot 2020-11-17 at 12.58.12.jpg