iCloud and Server-Based Project Files

Currently house all my VWX files on iCloud and work on them from there. Now that I have the 10 core iMac i9 I am finding it still a bit slow. Therefore, on the basis that is the internet that is now slowing stuff down is there an advantage in having a project file based on the iCloud in that format and working 'locally' on the VWX file? If I do will the 32GB be enough or do I need to upgrade to 64GB. At the moment most projects are fairly small at under £500,00 construction value.

iCloud is similar to Dropbox in that it simply synchronises files between your devices, using Apple's own iCloud servers as the go between. So when you work on a file that you store in iCloud you are actually already working on the local version of the file. So your internet speed won't make any difference to the performance of Vectorworks. It only comes into play when you save the file and your computer uploads that new version to the iCloud servers. But even then, it shouldn't make any difference to you if you're the only one working on that file, certainly not in terms of speed working on the file. Where it makes a difference is when you're collaborating with other people, because they're waiting for your saved file to be uploaded to the servers so their machine can then download the latest version. However I highly doubt you're collaborating with iCloud and I wouldn't recommend it.

I've used similar services (e.g. Dropbox and Resilio), which are actually designed for collaboration, and Project Files are advantageous because you can set them up in such a way that data is only synchronised over the internet when you do a 'Save & Commit' rather than every time you save your Working File. 

Even though you're probably not collaborating with anybody I would actually recommend using Project Sharing for the simple reason to save yourself bandwidth. If you save your Project File in your iCloud Documents folder but you save your Working File in your User account Documents folder (or somewhere else that isn't your iCloud folder) then you've only be uploading changes when you do a Save & Commit. This does introduce a little complexity so if bandwidth really isn't an issue for you maybe better just sticking with VWX files.

Note 1: you don't need additional memory for Project Sharing

Note 2: I don't think you need Server-based Project Sharing. That's for offices. Stick with File-based Project Sharing.

Note 3: I presume you're using iCloud as a way of synchronising between your own computers, a laptop and a desktop perhaps?

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Christiaan said:

iCloud is similar to Dropbox in that it simply synchronises files between your devices, using Apple's own iCloud servers as the go between. So when you work on a file that you store in iCloud you are actually already working on the local version of the file. So your internet speed won't make any difference to the performance of Vectorworks. It only comes into play when you save the file and your computer uploads that new version to the iCloud servers. But even then, it shouldn't make any difference to you if you're the only one working on that file, certainly not in terms of speed working on the file. Where it makes a difference is when you're collaborating with other people, because they're waiting for your saved file to be uploaded to the servers so their machine can then download the latest version. However I highly doubt you're collaborating with iCloud and I wouldn't recommend it.

I've used similar services (e.g. Dropbox and Resilio), which are actually designed for collaboration, and Project Files are advantageous because you can set them up in such a way that data is only synchronised over the internet when you do a 'Save & Commit' rather than every time you save your Working File. 

Even though you're probably not collaborating with anybody I would actually recommend using Project Sharing for the simple reason to save yourself bandwidth. If you save your Project File in your iCloud Documents folder but you save your Working File in your User account Documents folder (or somewhere else that isn't your iCloud folder) then you've only be uploading changes when you do a Save & Commit. This does introduce a little complexity so if bandwidth really isn't an issue for you maybe better just sticking with VWX files.

Note 1: you don't need additional memory for Project Sharing

Note 2: I don't think you need Server-based Project Sharing. That's for offices. Stick with File-based Project Sharing.

Thanks Christiaan, whilst I remain a micro-practice on micro projects I'll stick with the VWX format then even though they are all (small)BIM. However I hope even as a micro-practice to be working on much larger projects as I know from experience that a single architect, with no assistants, can handle a £10 million hospital project. I'd love to get ack to the bigger projects 🙂

• Like 1