Speaker Array - Rigging Frames & Pull-Back Bar

Mark Aceto

I'm trying to accomplish 2 things:

1. Add a Pull-Back bar symbol to the bottom box in the array
  2. Keep the rigging frames that are in the original speaker symbol

My assumption is that these objects are not visible in the array because they don't have a record attached to them... 

Just trying to get one step closer to this reality:

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 12.50.40 PM.png

554543080_ScreenShot2020-11-13at12_44_06PM.thumb.png.02752f327e7b0a29453f836c34dc7b95.png

Edited by Mark Aceto

Hey Andy,

That solved the issue with the pull-back bar visibility. However, the rigging frames (already generic solids nested in that symbol) are still only visible at 0 tilt:

77143719_ScreenShot2020-11-14at2_13_14PM.thumb.png.f4adf4b704e6e5da2de85e620338abd8.png

Converting the rigging frame hybrid symbol to a generic solid also loses it's weight which I was hoping to get in a Baceworks-aware calc:

1484804969_ScreenShot2020-11-14at2_11_56PM.thumb.png.3153a19945f73a01d24afc04a5ec6356.png

OpenGL render time was a few seconds on my wimpy MBP:

221892217_ScreenShot2020-11-14at2_13_53PM.thumb.png.f7ac76eeeeee4c462571ae1e6bb5ab6f.png

Edited by Mark Aceto

OK, I sort of figured it out with the exception of the Braceworks caveat. I cut the rigging frames from the nested speaker symbol, exited that Edit view, deleted the remaining 2D geometry, and pasted them in place (at the top level of the symbol along with the pull-back bar). I didn't expect that to work because the manual says all (speaker and bumper) symbols need to be hybrid.

I'm going to test this with converting those objects to 3D only symbols... 

Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 2.25.23 PM.png

Edited by Mark Aceto

Tested and confirmed that both conditions need to be met:

• Pull-back Bar and Rigging Frame objects need to be generic solids
  • Pull-back Bar and Rigging Frame objects cannot be nested in the speaker symbol
    • I'm sure I'm saying that wrong but in layman's terms, they need to be at the top / parent level of the speaker symbol

Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 2.45.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 2.46.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 2.48.42 PM.png

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • 3 years later...

Great work as always guys. Quick question regarding weight calculations and your processes on projects:  do you take the BraceWorks calculated weight and compare that to the manufacturers data provided by your audio vendor?  To my way of thinking, one would be better served to input the data from the manufacturer than relying on BraceWorks, especially if the arrays are hanging from dedicated hoists and not attached, either by hoist or dead hung, to a truss structure.  Just curious. 

7 hours ago, scottmoore said:

Great work as always guys. Quick question regarding weight calculations and your processes on projects:  do you take the BraceWorks calculated weight and compare that to the manufacturers data provided by your audio vendor?  To my way of thinking, one would be better served to input the data from the manufacturer than relying on BraceWorks, especially if the arrays are hanging from dedicated hoists and not attached, either by hoist or dead hung, to a truss structure.  Just curious. 

BW calcs the weight data in the symbol record, so it’s as accurate as the data entered (garbage in, garbage out). However, there are some weird BW limitations I’ve run into when it comes to speaker arrays and the myriad methods of hanging them.

11 hours ago, Mark Aceto said:

BW calcs the weight data in the symbol record, so it’s as accurate as the data entered (garbage in, garbage out). However, there are some weird BW limitations I’ve run into when it comes to speaker arrays and the myriad methods of hanging them.

Understood. I am of the opinion that it’s better to rely on the manufacturer’s calculations than hope that the data entered into BraceWorks and the resulting calculation is correct.  

Any reputable audio vendor using major manufacturers equipment will utilize an application that calculates those weights specific to which hole is selected on the bumper, the particular angles of each cabinet and whether or not there is a tilt back bumper underneath. Most riggers and engineering firms would be more apt to look at these numbers I believe. 

I am just concerned that we open up a potentially huge can of liability worms when we try to make VWX be the end all be all of production work. I love the idea of it and am seriously impressed with your work and attention to detail (as always), but we all need to be careful. 

10 minutes ago, scottmoore said:

Understood. I am of the opinion that it’s better to rely on the manufacturer’s calculations than hope that the data entered into BraceWorks and the resulting calculation is correct.  

Any reputable audio vendor using major manufacturers equipment will utilize an application that calculates those weights specific to which hole is selected on the bumper, the particular angles of each cabinet and whether or not there is a tilt back bumper underneath. Most riggers and engineering firms would be more apt to look at these numbers I believe. 

I am just concerned that we open up a potentially huge can of liability worms when we try to make VWX be the end all be all of production work. I love the idea of it and am seriously impressed with your work and attention to detail (as always), but we all need to be careful. 

I would definitely go with a Soundvision report over the alternatives.