Mark Aceto

Speaker Array - Rigging Frames & Pull-Back Bar

I'm trying to accomplish 2 things:

1. Add a Pull-Back bar symbol to the bottom box in the array
  2. Keep the rigging frames that are in the original speaker symbol

My assumption is that these objects are not visible in the array because they don't have a record attached to them... 

Just trying to get one step closer to this reality:

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 12.50.40 PM.png

554543080_ScreenShot2020-11-13at12_44_06PM.thumb.png.02752f327e7b0a29453f836c34dc7b95.png

Edited by Mark Aceto

Mark -

At-present, the tools only recognize the 3 speaker types and a single bumper type.  That being said, you CAN trick the tools by creating a speaker Symbol (w. all data attached) that is actually the pull-back bar.  That Symbol would then become one of the 3 types in your array.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, C. Andrew Dunning said:

DEselect all geometry.

See the latter pages of the ATS manual for more detailed info on the data Symbols need and the correct formatting.

Got it. Sounds like the pre-v2021 way I’ve been doing it. Easy peasy!

• Like 1

@C. Andrew Dunning the records are attached but what I'm noticing is that only the boxes that are at 0º tilt will show all nested symbols.

I rearranged them to test that theory:

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 3.50.25 PM.png

Edited by Mark Aceto

Mark -

I found the issue in the file you sent:  The Symbol contained an embedded Symbol (the rigging frame) and AutoHyrid was failing at that.  I converted the embedded Symbol to a group (Cmd-K) and all worked beautifully.  Now...rendering/regen time w. something that detailed is another story, entirely...

Hey Andy,

That solved the issue with the pull-back bar visibility. However, the rigging frames (already generic solids nested in that symbol) are still only visible at 0 tilt:

77143719_ScreenShot2020-11-14at2_13_14PM.thumb.png.f4adf4b704e6e5da2de85e620338abd8.png

Converting the rigging frame hybrid symbol to a generic solid also loses it's weight which I was hoping to get in a Baceworks-aware calc:

1484804969_ScreenShot2020-11-14at2_11_56PM.thumb.png.3153a19945f73a01d24afc04a5ec6356.png

OpenGL render time was a few seconds on my wimpy MBP:

221892217_ScreenShot2020-11-14at2_13_53PM.thumb.png.f7ac76eeeeee4c462571ae1e6bb5ab6f.png

Edited by Mark Aceto

OK, I sort of figured it out with the exception of the Braceworks caveat. I cut the rigging frames from the nested speaker symbol, exited that Edit view, deleted the remaining 2D geometry, and pasted them in place (at the top level of the symbol along with the pull-back bar). I didn't expect that to work because the manual says all (speaker and bumper) symbols need to be hybrid.

I'm going to test this with converting those objects to 3D only symbols... 

Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 2.25.23 PM.png

Edited by Mark Aceto

Mark -

The "LYON-W" Symbol (the one NOT including the pull-back - in the file you sent) contains both Generic Solids and the embedded "Rigging Frames" Symbol.  It is that Symbol that is causing issues.

As to "non-Hybrid," the tools should throw errors w. that...

Tested and confirmed that both conditions need to be met:

• Pull-back Bar and Rigging Frame objects need to be generic solids
  • Pull-back Bar and Rigging Frame objects cannot be nested in the speaker symbol
    • I'm sure I'm saying that wrong but in layman's terms, they need to be at the top / parent level of the speaker symbol

Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 2.45.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 2.46.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 2.48.42 PM.png

Edited by Mark Aceto

And the record (with weight data) is still attached to the generic solid! I never thought of doing that before... so there aren't even any caveats!

Thanks for helping me solve this!

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • Like 1