Bowstring Roof Truss

Mark Aceto

Before I model this bowstring roof truss manually using Structural Member objects (as I've always done in the past), is there a parametric way of creating the entire bowstring roof truss?

I tried the Roof Trusses PIO at: http://www.vectordepot.com/older_plug-ins.html (screenshot attached).

Not a big deal--just curious if anyone has come up with a pro way of doing this. These roofs are pretty common in Los Angeles, so this won't be the last time... 

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 6.04.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 6.06.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 6.45.21 PM.png

@Wes Gardner would the recommendation be to use the Structural Member tool, the Framing Member tool, or a combination of both?

I'm thinking the SM tool for the vertical and horizontal members, and the FM tool for the diags:

• I may use the bottom chord for rigging, so the SM object will work great for that
  • FM objects can't go to 90º vert, so SM for the those
  • Even when I turn off auto-join in the SM tool mode, SM objects will still auto join later when I move / reseize them
  • SM tool doesn't seem purpose built for 2x's (I found the Timber styles buried in the settings but it doesn't seem native)
  • SM tool seems purpose built for steel W-Beams to frame out a warehouse (not for a bowstring lumber sandwich)
Edited by Mark Aceto
Guest Wes Gardner

@Mark Aceto, I've not actually done it with SM or FM, last time I modeled trusses was to "proof out" what the truss company had sent me as far as fitment (I assumed their calcs were correct) and I just simply modeled the trusses using extrudes.

In your case, where you might model one and then modify it for other projects, you might get some "milage" out of doing as you've suggested.   Maybe try one and see how much time you have in it???

Wes