Section viewport Cap Fill Characteristics

Working with a Clip Cube Section of this project.

1907358645_ClipCubeSection3.thumb.jpg.9db16a1a5bde7367350b71b1c7bc8bf9.jpg

I made a clip cube and right clicked to "create section viewport' from clip cube face

Result looks about right with 'hidden lines' render.

1462597981_ClipCubeSection.thumb.jpg.f15a052c65eae56d0d25c4e250f42457.jpg

I'm have trouble setting the hatch patterns I would like for the section and background.

Here is what I would like to show.

1376706335_ClipCubeSection2.thumb.jpg.9a093b26e3bbea735182aa83d2d98ab8.jpg

Red is Gabion riprap (will need to model basket separately.)

Green is Dimensional Lumber in cross and in length.

Blue is background object that I would like hatched.

I watched a Vectorworks youtube called "Clip Cube Viewport Option" from 2018 that showed the viewport advanced properties having cap fill color control.

306712393_ClipCubeSection4.thumb.jpg.933823931bd68b5f844ad773db1fb04d.jpg

I don't seem to have that in Landmark 2021?

1137472685_ClipCubeSection6.thumb.jpg.c9d3ead45785f1c140b3570d084126d6.jpg

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Questions:

How do I set 'Cap Fill Color" for sectioned object?

How do I show background object with hatch patterns?

Thanks in advance!

• 5 months later...

I've come upon this while trying to find the answer to a separate problem.

Maybe you worked this out in the meantime but there are "regular" section viewports that you generate from a face of the clip cube, and there are 3d views which show the model clipped by the clip cube. The one in the video is the latter type, and your one is the former type. You need to control the section surface colour and line via the attributes of the "Attribute class" that's there in one of the dialogues you've highlighted.

• Like 2

thanks @line-weight  

I am definitely still figuring out my 'best practices' for section drawings...

Often now (as I'm trying to learn and still get projects out the door) I'm just drawing over in the annotation editing space.

I made a class called 00_draw-over and put most all of the 'amending' on that class.

I was doing the whole render to a 'temp' sheet layer at 1:1 -- then 'covert copy to lines' to get a nice editable version --- then put that on a 'elevations' layer -- then clean and edit.

Saw this on a tutorial and seemed like a way to go... this might work fine for set designers (I used to be a set designer back in the day!) with smaller, more concise  drawings.

But with the level of complexity I'm drawing at the convert copy was way to large - with multiple instances of the same line etc...

Just to much work, and then it doesn't update with changes.

I'm not doing it that way anymore!

So any thoughts on how to get sections drawings to be clean and communicative, while still using all the benefits of auto updating as changes are made, I'm listening!

Converting to lines is definitely a bad idea (what tutorial was that?) and drawing-over I think is the way to go, while gradually improving what you are able to show directly from the model, meaning you do less and less drawing-over as time goes by.

It's definitely worth fiddling with those settings for how sections are dealt with; merged vs non merged and so on, to understand what your options are there.

• Like 1