Cut 3D objects (easy newbie question!)

Unless there is a reason you need to use two plates, you will find it much easier to create a single solid object that has the same dimensions and then user Subtract Solids.

Take the Vertical plate (or a rectangle/polygon of the same dimensions) and extrude it by the shorter dimension of the horizontal plate. Select the extrusion and the cylinder and subtract solids.

I have combined this post with the one you originally put in Troubleshooting.

You mean like this?

image.thumb.png.df5a7bb7922825b6e02fe8270fdefdc1.png

I extruded the vertical and horizontal plane each by 4" (cylinder is 14' tall) and then Add Solid to make the two planes into a single object. I then selected the cutting object and the cylinder and did Subtract Solids.

But the resulting "cylinder" is a single object. You can't select the slice and move it separately.

HTH

If the two plates are one object, then you can use the Stitch and Trim command from the 3D Powerpack menu. Works a treat. However, you will lose the cutting object.

1739436373_Screenshot2020-11-12at17_01_32.thumb.png.42f19cf606e313fc5da14abd3214e25d.png

If you want to retain the cutting object then use the Section Solid command.. Just done it here and it works fine.

Screenshot 2020-11-12 at 16.59.08.png

Edited by markdd
  • Like 2