Electrical Symbols

Is it just me or are the electrical symbols just too big? I had the same problem with the electrical library in MC7, which I resolved by creating my electrial layouts on a layer scaled 1/2 the floor plan layer. The appearance was much better and more professional looking. Has anyone elese noticed this?

fjjRA

Kevin,

I think here the issue is not "scalability"; the electrical symbols adjust themselves to suit the layer scale--no problem there. It just seem that, what I will call the "base symbol drawing", is way off. If we normally draw our floor (electrical)plans at say 1/4" = 1'-0" scale, these symbols should have a professional appearance at this scale, which is retained at larger or smaller layer scale.

Fred,

I understand your original point about the symbols being too large for you at 1/4" scale. What I'm saying is that symbols are, by their definition, a fixed size, meaning that if you place that same symbol on 1/16" scale layer, you may percieve it to be too small for what you'd like.

One of the wishlist items for VectorWorks 9 is the ability to have symbols be scalable, by which I mean that you could have a 1:1 symbol defined (at the printed size scale) and then "scale" it for what your layer scale is. For instance, you could have it scaled to 1:48 for a 1/4" sheet and 1:96 on a 1/8" sheet so they appear the same when both are printed.

Until this capability exists, the only recourse is to edit the symbol information and re-size the elements inside as needed, whether it be for 1/8" scale, 1/4" scale or even 1/2" scale.

Hope this clears up my previous information.