AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB

As this is my first post let me say hi to my fellow vectorworks users. I am looking to get some help with my current machine / or a view from other users who maybe having similar issues.

I have recently upgraded to one of the latest iMacs. Spec as follows;

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020)

3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7

16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB

I am running VW2020SP5 Landmark.

The performance of the iMac at present leaves a lot to be desired and is comparable to the 2015 MacBook Pro it replaced. I only work in 2D with some colour and transparencies. General use is very slow, tracking and zooming is painfully slow, viewports disappear and then reappear when selected, panning whilst elements are selected is excruciatingly slow and so on.   

The local distributer of VW has been very helpful in working through the performance issues with the current advice being incompatibility with the graphics card. It is my understanding that I am waiting on an OSX update to remedy these issues.

If anyone can advise on similar issues or if anyone is running an iMac with this spec I would greatly appreciate any feedback.   

Have you tried switching off antialiasing in Vectorworks preference settings? -

may help till it’s sorted? Surely in a retina screen you don’t need antialiasing on anyhow really for cad...(I don’t have it on on my 1440 monitor with a Vega 56- more from past experience than anything else though)

or

try reducing resolution for screen (surely 1/2 resolution would be fine - I use 28” at 1440 and that’s more than adequate for me)

Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences.

Click Displays.

Select Scaled, then select any of the four or five scaled resolutions, depending on your Mac model. With scaled resolutions, text and objects can appear larger and more visible, or smaller to provide more space for windows and apps.

Edited by neal-2002

IMNSHO, the easiest way on a Mac to see if there is a User Folder problem is to create a new user in System preferences, log into that user and Launch VW. VW will automatically create a new user folder in the new user that will not have any cruft. If VW runs well (or better) in the new user then you are likely to have a problem in your user folder.

Go back to your primary user account, quite VW, go to ~:Your User Name:Library:Application Support:Vectorworks and drag the appropriate year folder to the desktop and restart VW. If VW runs better then you know you had a problem in the user folder. You can either accept the new user folder and only add the new things you need, or you can put the user folder from the desktop back and try to figure out what the problem is.

Many thanks for all the replies. Apologies but I should have included the troubleshooting to date in first post. All of the above have been tried with support from local distributor as well as uninstalling other software from my system that maybe interfering. Maybe some minor improvements with above but not really getting at the underlying issue. I have found that turning interactive settings off does improve performance somewhat.

Waynelocke I am sorry to hear you are having the same issues.