How best to utilise a structural IFC model

Christiaan

For the first time I'm working with a structural engineer who is supplying an IFC file of their (RC concrete frame) design at technical design stage. I feel like a kid in a candy store.

But how best to utilise their model?

I could use their model to update our model of the slabs and columns. Or I could integrate their model into ours, including to generate columns in our floor plan drawings and  to generate slabs in our section drawings. Which would negate the need to update our own structural model.

Possible? Not possible? Good idea, bad idea? Any tips on best way to do this? Pitfalls?

• Like 1

Personally we only use architectural slabs and columns as place holders until the Structural IFC model is available. We will then either delete ours or save them off in another model for comparison later or just ensure the Uni-class classes enable our slabs or theirs to be turned off/on. We then import their IFC file into our model. The important part is ensuring that you have set your IFC file and theirs to have the same origin and setting out point and the same elevation and rotation. This is important as you wont be able to manipulate their file after import. I find myself using the tools>origin>user origin>set origin to next mouse click command. Once this is done we rely on the structural model completely with regular Teams meetings to review adjustments required. One major issue we have is file size, once we import a structural, mechanical, electrical, civil and fittings and fixtures IFC files the file sizes are ridiculous and we struggle to use them in anything other than solibri.

Edited by Redmodro
  • Like 3

Thanks Redmodro. How do you go about creating floor plans that show their columns? Horizontal Section Viewports?

3 minutes ago, Redmodro said:

The important part is ensuring that you have set your IFC file and theirs to have the same origin and setting out point and the same elevation and rotation. This is important as you wont be able to manipulate their file after import.

One way around this is to import the model (either into your model file or a workgroup referenced separate file) and then create viewports of each storey and offset those as required.

Our placeholder isn't actively used in the model any more i only keep it in case we want to use as basis to set out column boxing's in the future, as this is a column element it can be edited to suit at that point.

We do find the reference option for the IFC files does keep the file size down and works fairly well. The whole idea of using the IFC files is that they can be used for 3d clash detection, the 2d dwgs are not going to help with clashes or meet the requirements of any level 2 BIM project.