Hoists and slings in 2021

Hamo

Question

I'm having interesting problems with the insertion of hoists and slings in 2021.

1. Slings do not automatically centre on the truss.  It appears that the insertion point is way off centre.
  2. Slings appear as a 2D elevation icon in 'Top/Plan view. Allocating a separate class and making it invisible is the only way to get rid of it.
  3. Selecting a sling from the 'Pick up symbol' only raises the hoist position (motor down) and doesn't include the sling.

Pointers would be much appreciated please.

Hamo

Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 18.16.49.png

4 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Hamo

1.  Pick up symbols 2D/3D hybrids and because of this the 2D and 3D components have to have offset insertion points for each component otherwise they will stack directly on the hoist and have to be manually moved. Related to this is that if you move the 2D thumbnail the 3D  component will be moved as well, this issue is being worked on and hopefully a solution will be shipped soon. In the meantime if you want the 2D thumbnail to display in a different location I suggest editing the 2D component of the symbol rather than moving the thumbnail after insertion.
  2. There are 2 ways to that a pick up symbols visibility can be controlled, the first is by class, the default class for the pick up symbol is Rigging-Accessories, the second is by using the 'Show pick up ' check box in the hoists OIP. If you want to be able to control the 2D and 3D component visibility separately you will need to edit the symbol and change the default classing for the 2D and 3D components
  3. From you previous comment, you turned of the class that the pick up symbol is in to hide the 2D thumbnail

let me know if you have any other questions

@jcogdell Logically the 3D symbol should be stacked on the truss as that is what will eventually be rendered and calculated in the total load calculations.  At present the 3D locus for the sling is offset from the symbol insertion point by 300m in both the horizontal and vertical.  I have had to edit all the 3D symbols so that the insertion points are correctly positioned under the hoist hook.  It's a bug and needs to be fixed.

Turning off the class 'Rigging Accessories' also turns off other 3D un-associated items such as clamps, shackles and slings.  This is not useful.  I have remedied this by editing the 2D symbol and renaming the class as 'Pick Up 2D'.  I've had to do this for all the resource pick up's.  This is not time efficient.

Apologies for sounding grumpy.

H

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The offset issue should have been fixed in SP2, from my understanding to fix the orientation issue of the sling in 3D the insertion point has been moved to align with the center line of the truss objects. All of our default pickups should have been updated to take this into account.

23 minutes ago, Hamo said:

Turning off the class 'Rigging Accessories' also turns off other 3D un-associated items such as clamps, shackles and slings.  This is not useful.  I have remedied this by editing the 2D symbol and renaming the class as 'Pick Up 2D'.  I've had to do this for all the resource pick up's.  This is not time efficient.

I'll put an enhancement request in to have this addressed.