VW2021 slow

Dick Jenkins

Question

I am finding v2021 to be painfully slow on the most simple task. For example in creating my Classes I get the spinning ball when editing a class or in just adding or deleting classes. This is a fresh empty file that I am structuring to become a template file. If things are this slow before I even start drawing I can't afford to start a new project in it. I have the latest SP and I am runing it on a iMac Pro that is loaded.

Anyone else experienciing this problem?

Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 4.28.03 PM.png

• Sad 1

6 answers to this question

No.

And my Trash Can is much lower specced than your iMac Pro.

Your Specs for VW are on the better side.

I see no spinning beach ball of death, even in larger, migrated files when creating

or editing Classes, Layers, Stories, ...

And it should not happen in empty new files, created from a blank template.

There must be a strange but special problem.

First I would try switching down OpenGL, in direction "compatibility", in VW preferences,

in case there might be a problem with Vega 64 and Catalina GPU Driver.

Second I would try to temporarily relocate/hide your VW User Settings Folder to

exclude broken Settings or Workspaces.

(I left out Catalina and went directly from Mojave to Big Sur Public Beta.

Big Sur worked pretty OK for me since first Beta.

And I read so much about bugs and problems with Catalina. But than

you should find others complain about V21 on Catalina too)

BTW,

You have VW 2021 SP1 installed ?

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1

I do have SP1 installed. I have the navigation graphics set to "Good Performance and Compatibility". Does anyone get to use "Best Performance"? That has also been a disappointment since VW touted that as one of their big improvements several versions back. What is the use of having this great new feature if you can't use it on the simplist of files?

How can I tell if there is something in the User Folder that is causing the problem? If it is the problem is there a way to rebuild it? I have several third party plug-ins that are all up to date with 2021. I assume I would have to reinstall them. What about other settings and preferences? Would I really have to start all over?

Thanks for the input. I submitted the question to Tech Support last week and have not heard a word from them.

On 11/12/2020 at 3:03 AM, Dick Jenkins said:

If it is the problem is there a way to rebuild it?

The Vectorworks 20XX Updater app has a 'REPAIR' function in the Advanced Menu. I suggest you try running that before Reset Vectorworks Preferences or the lesser, more granular approach below. But if you do discard your User Folder you can reintroduce the folders from your old User Folder into the new default one, but with Vectorworks closed,  and one at a time, in order to identify which one contains the corruption. 

On 11/12/2020 at 3:03 AM, Dick Jenkins said:

How can I tell if there is something in the User Folder that is causing the problem?

As Zoomer suggested, by temporarily disabling your User Folder, then opening Vectorworks. - If the issues are gone you know it's something in your User Folder to blame. You can also disable individual files in the Settings folder within the User Folder, or the entire Settings folder itself using the same method: 

1. Quit Vectorworks
  2. Append or prepend the name of the folder or settings file you're checking, with 'old' or 'current' or whatever. Vectorworks will create a new, default one when opened. 
    • You can do this with the entire User Folder, or the Settings folder within, or individual settings files within that if you like. 

If Vectorworks performs better afterward you know a corruption exists in the folder/file you disabled. You can identify the specific file/s down using a process of elimination if you like, but that might take just as long as just setting up your Vectorworks Preferences again. I suggest starting with the User Folder, then if you have a lot of time invested in a custom Workspace, determine if the corruptions are within there too to figure if you need to recreate it. - Many professional users recommend recreating this every year anyway, so as to accommodate or account for new tools, menu commands or workflows enabled by new features etc, but most importantly to account for inevitable corruptions that will occur at some point. (All files/data is prone to corruption. 1 in 1500 files are corrupt). 

• Like 2