2D/3D Workflow question

Is it the general practice for drawings to contain ‘only’ 3D objects?

i.e. Should I keep a 'plan drawing' (made up of 2D lines and rectangles) or should I delete objects as I convert into Walls, Hardscape, Landscape Areas, and Solids…

I’m learning that many people draw their details separately in 2D, but it seems like most users rely on the Clip Cube and Design Layers to get plan view viewports from Whatever 2D 3D objects the file consists of.

Coming from using both a 2D application and a 3D application, I’m hesitant to lose my “PLAN” drawing.

Wondering how longtime users handle this?

Closely related question: When 'touching up' viewports, do you draw on the 'Viewport annotation' screen?

No, that is not the general practice at all.

The basic objects in VW (Walls, Doors, Windows, Roofs, Slabs and many others) are "Hybrid Objects." That means that they can have a different appearance in Top/Plan (2D) than they do in any other view. This means that you can use a much more schematic view of a door which is made of "Screen Plane" (2D) objects that will show in the Top/Plan view while having a different appearance in other views.

Screen Plane objects can be used in any view.

3D only objects will display as outlines only in Top/Plan view, like they would in a wireframe render mode in other views.

If you need to create a custom 3D object, you can use the Auto Hybrid option to "automagically" add a screen plane representation that will show as a filled poly in Top/Plan view.

There are a lot more details, but that is the basic idea. Everything in a single file.

• Like 1