GetSpaceNumForObj - shows spaces in other layers, too

matteoluigi

Question

Hi,

i actually retried the function "GetSpaceNumForObj" with simple rectangles. Unfortunately in 2020 it returns me the spaces in the same layer as the listed objects and the spaces in the layer under the object layer. In 2021 it returns me all spaces which are lying under the dressed object.

Is that a bug or works as designed? I mean, theoretically "GetSpaceNumForObj" could be a great function for addressing furniture in interior designs, for knowing in which room doors are opening to,... but that way it doesn't work.

Thank you.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-06 um 16.46.53.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-06 um 16.46.58.png

Raumname von Obj.zip

11 answers to this question

I think this has to do with your design layer elevations. Check the attached screen capture: If I change all design layers elevations so that they are 1m separate, the list for  the rectangles is correct.

However, the doors "pass" through multiple spaces (a door is taller than 1 meter), therefore more than one space is listed for them.

image.thumb.png.cd7b8c300271840e3ef73a1c600851c8.png

If you must have your design layers at the same elevation, then some kind of additional class criteria could be used to separate the objects on different design layers.

The "GetSpaceNumForObj" function works so that it lists all those spaces an object is "touching", therefore you see more than one space listed for each object, since the spaces are at the same elevation.

We do use this function for furniture, equipment and door location listings and it works quite well. One has to pay careful attention to elevations though, spaces can have height and if an object is 1mm below the bottom of the space, it won't be listed.

On 11/7/2020 at 4:11 PM, JMR said:

One has to pay careful attention to elevations

sure. That makes sense, definitely. However we had problems with a 2020 file although all elevations were "right" (in order that all objects were in the right layer and all level-layer-heights were configured right)...

after we fixed the space elevations, everything worked fine. Thank you!

But, another thing, how do you manage the door location? @JMR in fact a door theorically is situated in 2 rooms, although it opens just in one room. Is it possible to show only the room "in which the door does open to"?

Edited by matteoluigi
  • Like 1

As to which room the door opens to, I haven't found an automatic way to do this, unfortunately.

What we do instead is that we a have data tag displaying a door serial number, which is formed from the room number and a running number. For example, if there are three doors opening to room number 118, the door numbers for the tag would be

118-1

118-2

118-3

This requires manual input and a custom data field.

kuva.thumb.png.1b99067652046a7633d123a85d915f66.png

6 hours ago, JMR said:

haven't found an automatic way

there must be some way to integrate a dummy object in every door or door leaf, which is lying in one space, only. Like chipping your door to be able to locate it :D, although thought about vectorscript, but, I still don't know how to verify in which direction and in which space object the door is opening to 😞 

I am able to get the worksheet criteria to find the arc of the door, but unfortunately nothing is listed in the worksheet:

kuva.thumb.png.1e4e49ee76adcb32379cc9783e7ed377.png

kuva.thumb.png.2895d66c723f00fce65c89153584d212.png

I guess the GetSpaceNameForObj function can't directly read the location of the door arc, since it is in the plug-in object...?

BTW this has to do with the handedness of the door, too. If a solution were found, perhaps it would enable us to determine the handedness as well? Currently automatic handedness detection is not possible, if I'm correct. There is the "IsFlipped" variable but that does not tell the whole story.

Industry standards probably vary quite a bit by country/continent, where I'm from the basic situation is like this:

If you stand in front of the door, and it opens toward you, and you open it with your left hand, the door is left-handed. And vice versa.

(The "Isflipped" function actually works well if one is careful with double-leaf doors (The 1st leaf must be the larger=active leaf). However, currently the worksheet functions cannot be called into the data tag, but I understand this is going to change.)

If one considers door hardware and locks, it gets a bit more complicated though since the "keyhole side" of the lock can be on either side (towards you or away from you). This information in included in the door tag in some countries, but not all, if I'm correct.

kuva.thumb.png.d3f763eb2ddd919fa0e47ceaf2ebcd5d.png

For this system (which the lock manufacturers use), the doors would be defined as follows (from left to right, keyhole side towards the viewer in all doors):

right in, left in, left out, right out.