VW Architect door and window questions

Hi again -

here are a couple of questions about VW ARCHITECT Windows and doors. (I don't know if these apply to 8.5 standard doors and windows)

1. How do I make the panel in a door transparent when viewed in quickdraw? I have made a 7'-0" x 3'-6" door with:

no. panels vert.: 1

no. panels horz.: 1

top stile: 1'0"

bottom stile: 1'0"

LR stile: 1'0"

SHOW 3D Detail button is CHECKED

2. When I place doors and windows, there seem to be an infinite number of 'locus' points that are created and associated with it. They are not visible in 2D or 3D views, but when the cursor is brought over the door or window, it is extremely difficult to snap to a significant point because there are locus points all around and very nearby.

thanks for any help!

------------------

d. s h a f f e r

a r c h i t e c t

k c m o u s a

Doug,

Unfortunately the only way to show transparent objects in our program is to have RenderWorks installed. This will allow you to add a glass texture and map it. QuickDraw does not support transparent renderings.

As for the loci problem, please describe more thoroughly what is happening. Are you zoomed in, out, are there other objects around the window/door, are they properly inserted into the wall? Are you trying to use the locus points for reference, or are they "in the way" of your work? If they are not visible in 2D or 3D view, when does this occur? Is this what was covered in the "Door Symbols Not Dimensioning Properly" post from 02/02/2000 in the General Discussion category from Scott A. Miller(Last post on 02/03/2000)?

Please give us a call at (410)-290-5114 and speak to someone here in Technical Support so that we may resolve this issue for you as soon as possible. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Brian

Support Technician

[This message has been edited by Brian O (edited 02-10-2000).]

Brian -

I have had an email exchange with Robert Anderson regarding this issue, but thought you might have a different insight. Below is the text from the latest email sent by Robert. Note that text preceded by ">" was written by me (Doug), the rest was written by Robert. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. Could this be related to the dimensioning door bug?

>I don't think I have been clear enough about how often the 'locus' points

>seem to occur. Here is what I am seeing. First, zoom in so that the trim

>on either side of a door jamb appears to be about 1/2 of full scale. If I

>understand correctly, the snap points of component parts of a door object or

>symbol should be the same as the snap points of similar elements that are

>not symbols. For example, the rectangle that indicates the trim at a door

>jamb should have eight snap points: the four CORNERS and the four CENTERS of

>each side. However, when I move my cursor along even the short dimension of

>the trim rectangle, there appear to be many (10? 20?) snap points. The

>smart cursor snaps to each of these points and and the word 'locus' appears

>at each one.

Doug, I most emphatically am -not- seeing this effect with VW. Maybe

a clean install of VW and VA is called for here? (If you do, remember

to backup your critical preferences files per the VA manual appendix

page A-20.)

>I regularly use the data display bar to place components precisely. The

>problem is that I can't seem to grab a window or door at a precise point (a

>corner of trim, for example) in order to move it precisely.

------------------

d. s h a f f e r

a r c h i t e c t

k c m o u s a

• 2 weeks later...

Doug makes an excelent request that I would like to submit for consideration as a new feature of the window plug-in. NO GLASS. A checkbox that allows either leaving out the glass element, or making the glass element non-filled would allow us to see through the window in the QT realtime rendering. With the doors, we can open them to see through, but the clear glass seems to be rather opaque looking!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I must confess I don't understand the glazing problem here. The French door, and the Simple and Complex window objects all draw their 3D glass in the Style-Glazing 1 class. You can set this class to be transparent (I think it defaults to this). You can also have multiple classes (so you can have different colors of glass in your project).