Hatch Rotation in Top/Plan

WANA

See attached three images of the same geometry - two roof faces and one roof object with two different textures on for reference. The images are in Top/Plan, Hidden Line and Open GL rendering mode. 

Can anyone tell me why on earth in Top/Plan the surface hatch won't behave in the same way as in the other two modes? The other two modes show clearly that the geometry, texture and surface hatch is working how I want it to so it just baffles me and messes with our viewports which would usually be in Top/Plan. 

Any help gratefully received before I pull what remains of my greying hair out... 

Screenshot 2020-11-04 at 14.39.07.png

Screenshot 2020-11-04 at 14.39.16.png

Screenshot 2020-11-04 at 14.42.39.png

A surface hatch only displays in 3D. In OpenGL you see the texture; in Hidden Line you see the surface hatch. The surface hatch is like a black + white line version of the texture.

Top/Plan is a 2D view so here you see whatever 2D attributes you've assigned to the objects. In your case hatch fills.

So in your images the top row is Top/Plan view (2D) + the other two rows are Top View (3D).

What's confusing is the surface hatch displayed on the middle left hand object: you should check the paving texture you used on the bottom LH object + see what surface hatch is assigned to it as it looks like you need to change it from the clay tile one to a brick one.

If i've understood your images correctly

• Like 1

Hi tom

Thanks for that - makes perfect sense. 

Follow up question, without showing plan viewports in 3D I assume there is no way of getting those roof hatches to show correctly without doing a bit of invisible mending within the viewports? 

PS The left object is confusing things as its showing material by component on a roof face and the component didn't match... I rushed out an example but you got the gist and helped anyway!