Line Hope Styles

isyme

Hi @Conrad Preen,

Heres a few screengrabs from a project Im working on at the moment. 

645003337_Screenshot2020-11-09at11_52_30.thumb.png.58829b362d4de82863b2d4bd62a11159.png

The blue dashed line needs to hop over quite a few red lines - something that the hop-over tool cant do. I encounter this a lot on the types of schematics we draw and wasnt so much of an issue when drafting them in other software packages.

1336831945_Screenshot2020-11-09at11_53_00.thumb.png.28646a629e939189c929dcf7a42470c3.png

Here I have drawn a white box underneath the blue line to sort of indicate what I imagine it could be like (borrowing the idea from other line break styles in Omnigraffle). If there was a way to autohop and break based on forward and back positioning that would be ideal!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 hours ago, isyme said:

If there was a way to autohop and break based on forward and back positioning that would be ideal!

That sounds like a nice idea... I'm a little wary of how the process of detecting the crossovers would scale on big drawings though.

Conrad

Just now, Conrad Preen said:

That sounds like a nice idea... I'm a little wary of how the process of detecting the crossovers would scale on big drawings though.

Conrad

Yes, I'm aware it could become a bit of a mess if it was solely based on object hierarchy.

Perhaps circuits could have a priority level ... High would mean it always hops over, Medium means it is flexible, Low would mean it is always hopped over?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I'll have think about it - not promising anything.

ConnectCAD did without hop-overs for almost 15 years. And very few people had a problem with that. Quite often a hop-over is a sign that a drawing would be clearer if laid out in a different way or that the circuit in question should be set to arrow-style. One of the neat things about ConnectCAD is that it's really easy to re-order sockets in devices to uncross your wires. Not saying that your use-case isn't valid but sometimes it pays to think out of the box.

Conrad