create a TUNNEL through the site model

yasin2ray

Question

Hello,

I am editing the terrain model on a project to reflect the tunnel that is there. I'm trying to figure out the most realistic outcome that is possible to do. Is there a site modifier that will actually punch a hole through both sides of terrain to make a tunnel? What are my options?

It just needs to be somewhat realistic, not perfect.

I'm attaching a 3D view of the model so you can see what I'm working on.

Thank you!

Anna

tunnel through site model needed.jpg

7 answers to this question

What's the best way make a second DTM to provide overhead fill like this? One site model at a time has kind of been enough for me so far but I'm interested to understand how you go about combining or stacking them... Like if you had a basement that projected beyond the footprint of a building. Thanks

On 11/3/2020 at 8:46 PM, zoomer said:

You could copy the related part of your Source Data and create another DTM

on an additional Layer.

Thanks @zoomer I finally got around to trying this. To backfill over my strip foundations. Was fairly straightforward in the end! You can do a lot in the edit crop mode to get what you want + use the ‘Minimum Elevation’ parameter in the site model settings to set the bottom of the infill

1593671189_Screenshot2021-03-31at10_53_14.thumb.png.b02a3ab901cbc4da498b841563314a08.png

387252671_Screenshot2021-03-31at10_49_53.thumb.png.181a2676bdc906bbb5dc601663678ac4.png

978694813_Screenshot2021-03-31at10_48_02.thumb.png.a8486726fe4965272c5712fcdd0f8eec.png

This would start to get very complicated if your foundations stepped or sloped in levels, either along their length or in profile.

I tend not to use DTMs at construction drawings stage for this reason, often preferring to use a mesh type surface to represent the ground surface and then do all the backfilling manually in section viewport annotations.

The DTM would become a lot more useful if it could at least automatically subtract from itself wherever it intersected with a solid (that would cover any building that didn't have internal space below ground level - for those that do, the DTM would have to become more intelligent but it would be a start).

• Like 3

Agree 100% on all points.

6 minutes ago, line-weight said:

The DTM would become a lot more useful if it could at least automatically subtract from itself wherever it intersected with a solid (that would cover any building that didn't have internal space below ground level - for those that do, the DTM would have to become more intelligent but it would be a start).

Yes I think this is what would be necessary in order to fulfil this recent Wishlist item:

• Like 3