Vectorworks 12 Placed In InDesign -- Poor Quality. Help!

I just tried exporting from VW12 as an EPSF and importing that into InDesign -- it looks and prints beautifully but the EPSF file is big.

Resaving EPSF within Photoshop as a TIFF helps with file size and seems to only slightly lessen image quality in InDesign.

If you use the export image file you have several options:

File > Export > Export Image File...

This method will savve your image is several different file types including Photoshop. you can choose the resolution (dots/inch) to improve the quality.

I?d use Photoshop with indesign. That way you can edit the Photoshop version and inDesign will update the link.

I use InDesign for presentation boards and don't seem to have a problem. To get Vectorworks output to ID, I export as PNG files, especially line drawings. Typically I use the draw marquee option in the export dialog box, save at the size I think I will need it and save as a png without compression. Works great for plans and so far, rendered images. I usually have to tweak them a little in photoshop (like removing the background in a perspective), then its off to InDesign. If you are exporting from sheet views, make sure the resolution is set above 200dpi. Good Luck

quote:

Originally posted by jnr:

To get Vectorworks output to ID, I export as PNG files, especially line drawings. Typically I use the draw marquee option in the export dialog box, save at the size I think I will need it and save as a png without compression. Works great for plans . . .

I tried exporting from VW as a PNG. The file size is smaller than an EPSF, the screen display and printout seem a bit rough quality-wise.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I seem to be getting the best balance of file size and quality with:

VW --> Export as EPSF --> Photoshop --> Save As TIFF (even as low as 150dpi)

quote:

Originally posted by david bertrand:

What about printing to a PDF ? I don't have InDesign, but get great results in Appleworks and Pages (both Mac) with PDFs.

PDF's are my great fallback but something (InDesign, my network, the printer?) seems to be choking on them when they are in my InDesign document.

I guess I'll stick with my EPSF-to-TIFF workaround for now.

But thanks for posting and offering this suggestion.

I think will return to this and try to figure out what' the problem with PDF in InDesign later when I don't have a deadline.

I have been trying to display and print VW 2D drawings in InDesign. They look mediocre on screen and worse when printed.

I have tried:

? exporting from VW as JPEG image file and placing them in InDesign (chunky lines, unintelligible fonts).

? exporting from VW as TIFF as high as 600px, then placing them in InDesign (chunky lines, unintelligible fonts).

? exporting as DWG, importing DWG to Illustrator, saving as AI file, then placing in InDesign (colours lost; chunky lines: text boxes; but great looking fonts)

I am at my wits end.

Can anyone recommend a solution?

If you want to export as an image, increase the DPI to start. To continue the larger image size/quality, also increase the pixel width/height. If you plan on enlarging the image, you will need a width and height of a larger value.

By default, the export image dpi is 72. As this value increases, the actual pixel size of the image decreases. Since most people want to use more than something a little larger than a postage stamp, the pixel width/height also need to be increased.