Move Nudge

Version 8 is faster, less complicated, and has a very pleasant feel that was lost in later versions. I buy the upgrades but still use version 8 for everything except DWG import and print scaling.

Windows XP, on the other hand, is a great improvement over Windows 95, which crashes a lot. Moreover, one doesn't usually get to choose one's operating system. It usually comes with the hardware.

At least the final release, 8.5.2, works flawlessly on XP. I've never seen the problem you describe, Bill. You mean that when you change into Nudge mode, each tap of an arrow key moves the selected object all across the sheet? So tapping twice makes it disappear?

I don't know of any setting that could make that happen. Later versions have another feature, similar to Nudge, called Move Objects on Grid, which could theoretically do what you're seeing, but v8 doesn't have that.

Do you have 8.5.2? The update is a free download. Other than that, all I can think of is to remove and reinstall VectorWorks.

Thanks for responding Jan15.

I am using v8 and xp pro, I had said xp and forgot to put the pro in there before. The ogject does not move just the page moves the width or lenght of the screen. I did uninstall the program and installed it on a friends computer and it works right. So I unstalled it from there and reinstalled it back on my computer and it stills moves the whole screen and not the object. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Should I get the upgrade?

Thanks, Bill

It sounds like everything's o.k. but you're just not in Nudge mode.

Ordinarily, tapping the arrow keys moves the view in the direction of the arrow. It's a handy way to move around the drawing, without having to change to the Pan tool. You can also pan by dragging an object off the screen -- the screen moves with you.

In later versions of VectorWorks, Nudge is always available. You just have to hold down the correct modifier key while tapping the arrow key. But in version 8 there's a special Nudge mode, which you have to turn on by issuing the Nudge pull-down command, or its shortcut, which in the standard set-up I think is Ctrl-N (I have mine set up so the Insert key turns it on). After you do that, you're in Nudge mode, and tapping any arrow key will move the selected object a tiny bit. You turn off nudge mode by selecting a tool or by clicking on the drawing.

Nudge is really only useful for final positioning of text, images, and decorative elements. Normally you move things by grabbing them with the Select tool and dragging them where you want them, usually grabbing a certain point on the object and dragging that point to some other point that you can snap to.

[ 04-17-2006, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: jan15 ]

I also think you should upgrade and use the newer versions of VectorWorks. VectorWorks has not just become more complex, it?s become more powerful, and has come a long way since version 8. The viewports are very powerful and can greatly speed up your drawing.

I believe that you should keep your computers and software up to date. These are the tools of your trade and need to be kept sharp.

Thank you all for your replys.

I do grab the objects and move to where I want them, but I also use the nudge element a lot for final positioning. The command is Ctrl+, or use the move nudge in the drop down. The pan the drawing works just fine with the arrow keys.

I again tried the program on still another computer and the nudge feature works correctly. Is there anywhere else I can go for an answer. It's a feature that is very important to me. Also once I start using the program more I may upgrade to a newer version, but this one has everything I usually need.

Thanks again,

Bill,

I also am using Windows XP Pro. And I have Service Pack 2 for it. Do you have that installed? If not, you might try adding that. It's free from Microsoft. There was a lot of talk about SP2 preventing even brand-new versions of programs from working, but VW8 didn't have any problem with it. I never tried VW8 on an XP machine without Service Pack 2.

What about the VW release that you're using? Is it 8.5.2? (pull down Help > About VectorWorks). If not, I would try changing to that. Again, it's a free download.

I can't think of anything that would cause the problem you're having, and I've never heard of it before. Sorry. And I don't think Nemetschek will help with it because they don't support version 8 on XP.

I doubt that buying version 12 will bring all the money and power that the others claim, and I even doubt that it will have fewer bugs on XP than version 8 has, but if you want to try it, bear in mind that you have 90 days to change your mind and return it for a full refund.