Workspace Gone Mad!

It could be related to permissions. I would rearrange your palettes and close VW by going to File>Quit or Exit.

Then, run Disk Utility to verify and repair disk permissions.

• 5 weeks later...

It happened again today. All I did this time was hide VW, sleep my Mac G5, wake it, and click the VW icon in my dock. I called Tech Support, and the gentleman (no names given) said that I couldn't hide VW without first quitting VW, opening it again, and then hiding it. What! I've never heard of such a thing. That's not right. So what is the fix to this bug.

Bruce

My customized WorkSpace file in VW12 has been corrupted twice in the last week or two. VW Tech hasn't yet figured out the cause. So after setting-up my personal workspace again, I now keep a copy of the MyWorkspace.qtr file in a seperate folder as a backup ( along with a copy of my Preferences). I'm hoping that VW12.5 will have this fixed. It's a bummer to have to start again from scratch.

I just had the same thing happen to me after installing Matt Panzer's Viewpak. It was combined with a crash (of my own doing I think) and the workspace went wacky. Had to reset everything. I've had Julian Carr's worksheet tool installed for weeks without issue. Might not be a OS issue...

Sounds like strange advice to me. By Tech Support do you mean Apple or NNA?

Did you run repair permissions using Disk Utility? If that doesn't fix it I'd try to reinstalling Vectorworks.

It was by NNA support. I did repair permissions and that did not help. I'm not going to reinstall VW quite yet since this is only the second time it happened. I think a simpler solution is to keep a copy of the workspace as a backup.

I just had the same thing happen to me after installing Matt Panzer's Viewpak. It was combined with a crash (of my own doing I think) and the workspace went wacky. Had to reset everything. I've had Julian Carr's worksheet tool installed for weeks without issue. Might not be a OS issue...

I do not have any third party tools installed.

I hide VW often, using both Cmd-H and Option-Click on another app. My Mac sleeps often. And I click in the dock or double click the file in the Finder to awaken VW. It has never caused a problem, so I should think these are OK things to do.

That being said, I am running on a G4 and OSX 10.3.9, so it could be a hardware or OS issue. But if nobody else is having your problem with your combination of HW & OS, I wouldn't start looking there initially.

Good luck,

Raymond